Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 9, 2014   #1
lavanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Pepper seedlings not staying upright

I have about a dozen pepper seedlings all about 4-6 six weeks old and about 4-5 inches tall. I grew them in DE and only used weak inorganic fert after the second set of true leaves. They are all in 4" pots now with peat moss based soilless medium with organic fert. Lately, during noon (around 85 degrees and sunny pretty much everyday) some of them are not staying up straight. They perk up and stay upright if I move them a shadier spot. I staked some of them and noticed that right at soil level the stem is thinner that the upper parts. That is where stem seems to be weakest. I don't think they had damp off but not sure, they look quite healthy.

My question is this, can I plant them deeper like tomatoes so that they can have roots above that thinner stem section. I really don't want to lose the Urfa peppers in particular since I had very poor germination (about 20%).

Cheers
lavanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

That sounds like damping off. You could try putting some peroxide on them. Maybe someone here would know what strength to use?

Good luck!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #3
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I always plant peppers deeper like tomatoes. Some will grow new roots along the stem, some will not, depends on the variety. If nothing else you will provide some support for the stem, just don't over water.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2014   #4
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Even though tropical plants they tend not to take the super hot sun. That is probably part of the problem too. They cannot get enough water up to the leaves. Some of mine only get half a day of sun and are doing well, and I'm in Michigan! Give them morning and evening sun, but not mid-day. The other suggestions are good too.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2014   #5
lavanta
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the recommendations. I planted them deep and moved them to a slightly shadier place. So far so good, they almost doubled in size.
lavanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2014   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
That sounds like damping off. You could try putting some peroxide on them. Maybe someone here would know what strength to use?

Good luck!

Linda
One part hydrogen peroxide to ten parts water, you dont have to be exact.
I just eyeball it.
Sounds like a mild case of damping off to me too.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2014   #7
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes are tough, when small you worry about over watering, then when they are larger you're a little gun shy and they dry out. Only my tropical hibiscus sucks more water than my tomatoes. It rained lightly here the other day and I thought they would be good, no they were dry, unreal! Keep in mind i say this when compared to other plants. My raspberries, blueberries etc are not water hogs. My tomaoes now are fairly large and the cherry tomatoes have been producing for a couple weeks. A couple early larger tomatoes were ripe too. Earliest I remember tomatoes being ripe. I had ripe tomatoes in June. For Michigan, that's pretty good. I used a cold frame, and that made a huge difference.
Old July 16, 2014   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Only my tropical hibiscus sucks more water than my tomatoes.
Drew it never ceases to amaze me that the big box stores say they have selected plants for our area.

I love hibiscus but there is no way they would live here without tons of water.
Even the label says,"keep soil moist".
We dont get tons of water.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2014   #9
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I figured out a few years ago that peppers just don't like to bake all day in the sun (at least not here in the high desert...) They are happiest in my yard in a place that gets sun until about 2:30 and then just dappled sunlight the rest of the afternoon. I could never figure out why I never got any peppers on my plants! Now, I get a lot!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2014   #10
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Drew it never ceases to amaze me that the big box stores say they have selected plants for our area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

I love hibiscus but there is no way they would live here without tons of water.
Even the label says,"keep soil moist".
We don't get tons of water.

Worth
My wife bought it. So now I have to keep it alive. It has ton's of vigor, so if you let it get too dry it will come back. I bought a rose of sharon which is hardy here, unlike the hibiscus which I must bring in every winter. It sheds worse than my dog. A pain all the way around. The rose of sharon is a type of hibiscus, but much better adapted to my area. it has blue/purple flowers. Very nice! I have never seen this color before. It is in ground too! It does not rain here either. We only get 4 inches of rain more than Texas. The Midwest is a fairly dry area.
Average yearly rainfall
Michigan 32.8 inches
Texas 28.9