Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2010   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Actinovate-EXEL LG/Agri-fos Compatibility

I just received an e-mail from Boomer Cardinale concerning Actinovate and Phosphorous acid (EXEL LG/AGri-Fos) and this is what he said.

"We've done tank mix studies with Phosphorous acids and the Actinovate microbe is perfectly compatible."

So if you want to apply Exel LG or Agri-Fos as a soil drench after already inoculating the soil with Actinovate it is safe to do so. And you should be able to apply Actinovate and Exel LG or Agri-fos together as a foliar spray if you so desire.

And you compost tea brewers out there. If you want to add Actinovate to your brew do so after the brewing phase prior to application to the crops. Ami
Old May 8, 2010   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Ami,

Thanks so much for relaying this information from Boomer. I want to do an Exel LG soil drench now, so the timing of the confirmation re: compatibility is great!

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010   #3
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Ami,
Thanks very much. Also Boomer replied to my PM and advised Actinovate has an 18-24 month shelf life, which I assume triggers the "use by" date on my package.
Tom
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Tom, I also asked the question in case he forgot to get back to you and the reply I got was good for 12-18 months after the Use By date. Ami
Old May 10, 2010   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Ami, thank you - nice to know!

Just picked up another pack of Actinovate a couple days ago, and will add some to my next spraying with the Exel.

Btw, at what rate are you using the Exel as a foliar spray? My label gives a range of 2 tsp - 2 T per gallon for tomatoes, and so far I've been using 4 tsp / gallon.

Spraying a few "control" beds with Daconil instead of the Exel, so I can compare the results. All the plants look good so far.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010   #6
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

Good to know! Thanks for asking the right questions.
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Suze, Last year I used 1 T per gallon. Ami
Old May 12, 2010   #8
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
Ami, thank you - nice to know!

Just picked up another pack of Actinovate a couple days ago, and will add some to my next spraying with the Exel.

Btw, at what rate are you using the Exel as a foliar spray? My label gives a range of 2 tsp - 2 T per gallon for tomatoes, and so far I've been using 4 tsp / gallon.

Spraying a few "control" beds with Daconil instead of the Exel, so I can compare the results. All the plants look good so far.
Excel LG looks like a great product. Does anyone here know if it controls as many diseases as Daconil? I've seen a few products that are supposed to address Late Blight, but say nothing about Early Blight.

Suze, speaking of Daconil, I'm still following your spray schedule you suggested to me a few years ago. I'm curious though, how concerned should I be about runoff from the Daconil affecting the Actinovate and other products that I've innoculated my plants with? I'm using Actinovate and Myco-Stim (made by same company as Excel LG). What do you think?

Bubba
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Bubba, are you using Actinovate as a soil drench or do you use it as a foliar as well. Also if you didn't catch the link I posted in your thread on Early Blight here it is again. Ami

http://www.neon.cornell.edu/training...rathtomato.pdf
Old May 12, 2010   #10
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Bubba, are you using Actinovate as a soil drench or do you use it as a foliar as well. Also if you didn't catch the link I posted in your thread on Early Blight here it is again. Ami

http://www.neon.cornell.edu/training...rathtomato.pdf
Ami, I use it for both. Thanks for the link.
Old May 13, 2010   #11
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubbacain View Post
Suze, speaking of Daconil, I'm still following your spray schedule you suggested to me a few years ago. I'm curious though, how concerned should I be about runoff from the Daconil affecting the Actinovate and other products that I've innoculated my plants with? I'm using Actinovate and Myco-Stim (made by same company as Excel LG). What do you think?
No idea. If Daconil (chlorothalonil) kills or affects Mycos or Actinovate (streptomyces lydicus), I'm not aware of it. But then I'm no chemist.

If you do some targeted Google searches, you might find some info on how those various products interact.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010   #12
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
No idea. If Daconil (chlorothalonil) kills or affects Mycos or Actinovate (streptomyces lydicus), I'm not aware of it. But then I'm no chemist.

If you do some targeted Google searches, you might find some info on how those various products interact.
Just yesterday I got the same answer from both Ortho and Organic Labs Inc. (makers of Excel LG and Myco Stim). I was told by both that any killing of the soil based microbes would be minimal because the Daconil/chlorothanlonil is designed for foliage. Hopefully one of you will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I remember the mechanics of Daconil explained to me as providing a coating or protective barrier to the foliage.

The name has been changed from Daconil to Ortho Max Garden Disease Control and the label no longer has the "weather stick" logo, so I guess it rinses off more easily. I wonder if it's even still as effective.
Old May 15, 2010   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here's a quote from a study I found concerning Daconil and Mycrobials. Ami

The effect of chlorothalonil on soil microbial populations and enzyme activities was investigated in a microcosm mimicing soil ecosystem. The results showed that the bacteria were inhibited significantly after the application of chlorothalonil, and then recovered at 21d; the effect of chlorothalonil on actinomycetes in soil was less than on bacteria, and the populations of actinomycetes recovered after 14d; however, no significant inhibition of fungi caused by the fungicide was observed.

As long as you just spray the plant with minimal runoff you should be OK. Remember Daconil is a protectant and not a curative. EXEL LG from what I read is not effective against Early Blight but Actinovate is. I would not use Actinovate and Daconil at the same time but alternate the applications.
A new product I came across that is effective against Early and Late blight is Regalia. It is derived from the giant knotweed plant. Problem is the minimum amount you can buy is 1gal and that goes for $69.00 from the manufacturer. Exel LG and Agri-Fos work on Late Blight and other diseases but not on early blight. So it depends on how much you are willing to spend for the protection of your plants.
One final note on all the inquiries I made to different manufacturers concerning the effects of fungicides/insecticides on their myco products the more I learned that most don't know or have the expertise to answer the question. Boomer at Natural Industries was one of the few that gave me a definitive answer concerning Actinovate/EXEL LG compatibility. So when in doubt stagger your applications of mycos and insecticides/fungicides. And if using mycorrhizae I would not use any insecticide/fungicide product as a drench other than mycrobials. Ami
Old May 15, 2010   #14
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ami,

Very clear decision-tree that you have laid out.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2010   #15
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Here's a study I came across yesterday. Found exel in combination with Serenade to be more effective than Exel alone in the control of bacterial wilt. Thymol was most effective it says, but don't know how good that would be for the Serenade if it's used. All treatments increased yield significantly; wonder if that's because of reduced disease pressure alone or a combination of lack of disease & vigor inducing qualities of the phosphite.
Thymol & Actigard used together reduced bacterial wilt & significantly increased yields.

They found Exel combined with reduced copper plus mancozeb treatments as having the best results for bacterial spot.

http://www.reeis.usda.gov/web/crispr...es/207620.html
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote