Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 8, 2013   #1
TeeDubYeah
Tomatovillian™

Default Patio Garden Miami, Fl

I live in a condo in Miami so I don't have much space, Here is my solution.
2013-03-27 16.06.21.jpg

The Milk Crates allow me to plant on multiple sides and the top and they are stackable. All designed to maximize space. I do keep in mind root space. I have not yet really packed any of these with plants but I think I could probably plant on 3 of the 6 sides (depending on what im planting) without issue.

2 of those are lined with regular garden liner I got at HD. The other two are lined with reusable shopping bags. You know the ones that you get every where and never seem to have when you are at the supermarket.
TeeDubYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Welcome from Homestead down south from you.I think Frank Zappa once quoted "Necessity is the mother of invention"I know if they came to my house and sheds the "dairy police"would bury me deep!http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=ro...yword_rollover

Last edited by kurt; April 8, 2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: found on web last year
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

What I love about gardeners, they will always find a way! Congratulations.
Old April 12, 2013   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

keep us updated please. That is cool.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2013   #5
TeeDubYeah
Tomatovillian™

Just a short update.....
I recently moved to a single family home with a yard, but I have continued to grow in the milk crates. One thing I failed to take into consideration when growing on the balcony was light conditions.... well because I did not have much choice on light conditions. In hindsight if you do this you will want to pair plants that need similar light conditions together. This is apparent to me now that I have a yard and choices of light conditions. Here is a list of what I have grown and how they are doing.

Lettuce -- never really took off, This is probably my fault for having in full sun and/or over planting
Basil - I am growing 4 varieties of basil and it is flourishing in this setup
Mint - flourishing
Garlic - growing well but too soon to see if I actually get bulbs
Green onion- doing well
Longhot peppers - Did well at first but have taken a beating lately. again my fault i think its light issues.
Lemongrass- I cant use this fast enough. It has taken over about 80% of the top of one of the crates from a single stalk of lemongrass planted.
Sorry I dont currently have any pictures but I will post some soon.
TeeDubYeah is offline   Reply With Quote