Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 25, 2016   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default corn in raised beds....please help

Yes, I realize this part of the forum is container gardening for tomatoes; however since raised beds are kind of a form of container gardening, I figured this would be the best place to post this thread.

I saw a video on you tube (I have posted the link below) where a person grew 52 corn plants in a 4' x 8' raised bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfkLZ_o2DwA

I was wondering with an 8" spacing between plants, and 6 plants per 'row' if I could grow that many in a 4' x 8' raised bed, or would that be too many plants? It's recommended to use dwarf varieties if growing corn in a raised bed.

The variety of corn I will plant is called blue jade, which is a dwarf type. It only reaches 3'-4' feet in height; I found a place that sells the blue jade corn, and it provides planting instructions. According to the site, it recommends 8" plant spacing. If I were to use this dwarf variety and the plant spacing listed would I be able to get 52 plants in a 4' x 8' bed or would I be overcrowding the bed?

One other thing; corn has shallow roots, so would a 4' x 8' bed with a depth of 12" be deep enough? However if it possible to grow that many plants in a 4 ' x 8' bed should I make the bed deeper (since there will be so many plants), or will it not matter?

Last edited by aimeruni; February 25, 2016 at 04:28 AM.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote