Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2013   #31
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
I breezed thru the above posts, but did not see these.

Agatha
Belyi Naliv
Burbank Slicing
Dwarf Champion
Golden Dwarf Champion
Ahhhh!! So many tomatoes, So little time !!!
Ted..in the past I planted Dwf Champion both in ground and in pots (tubs) and can honestly say that I was surprised at the size of the tomatoes and production produced on a plant that only grew about 2'. It is a keeper.
I assume from your title Container Ted that you grow a bit in containers. If you had to select 3 varieties to plant in containers based on production and flavor what would be your choices?
Ken
Old July 24, 2013   #32
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Matina, PL, red, consistent size, very productive, huge plant, sweet taste, early.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #33
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

For that size I grow Stupice and Jaune Flamme. Both are must haves for me!

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #34
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default I don't want to hijack this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceke View Post
Ted..in the past I planted Dwf Champion both in ground and in pots (tubs) and can honestly say that I was surprised at the size of the tomatoes and production produced on a plant that only grew about 2'. It is a keeper.
I assume from your title Container Ted that you grow a bit in containers. If you had to select 3 varieties to plant in containers based on production and flavor what would be your choices?
Ken
When I chose my handle, I was in a situation where I had to put everything in containers because of a heavy presence of "Juglone", the chemical produced by walnut trees and bitter hickory (and others).

There isn't a variety that I would not grow in a container, so that would open up the list. But for small plants in a 5 gallon container, I would choose Rozalinda, Mini Rose, and Golden Dwarf Champion. Then each year, I would rotate the other 100 or so varieties that also come to mind. It's a subject that should not be limited. There are too many good tomatoes in this "golf ball" size range.

And remember, if I upgrage the container to10-18 gallons, my list of varieties that I can grow is without limits and easily includes the large indeterminates.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #35
peppero
Tomatovillian™

one of the things that make T'Ville such a great place is the abundance of sharing people who take the time to contribute to the thoughts and requests of the members here.

thanks to all of you.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #36
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Jolly f1 but make sure you let it ripen fully. It's a slow ripener.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #37
manyplews
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
manyplews,

I checked out that eBay link for Pixie and I would be very cautious of that seller mainly because he is touting it as the F-1 hybrid and as you noted that variety was discontinued around the year 2000.

Personally I have been growing out Pixie and saving seeds since then and What I have seems very much like the original tho I'm now at F-6 (I think) but I'm up front about the fact that it's NOT the original hybrid. Here is my page about it http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms.com/pixie.html

I've seen other discontinued varieties listed as F-1 on eBay and other web sites long after production ended. Those are either really old seeds or not really the F-1. Be aware when looking for an old fav hybrid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to the original topic -- golf ball sized tomatoes

Some I like

Orange Pixie
Matina and it's almost twin, Russian Apple Tree
Prize of the Trials (orange)
Early and Often (red)
4th of July

I'm sure there are a lot more but I'm blanking right now.

Carol

Carol,
Thanks for the info and the link.
Yes,I had "volunteers" for 7 or 8 years that produced fruit pretty true to the
original Burpee variety.
One thing I noticed,I remember our fruit being almost perfectly round - more so than what I see on your website.
Regardless,if I'm still kicking,I'll get some from you next spring.
Ron
manyplews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #38
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Container Ted, you have grown Resista Dwarf. I have seen it listed at Carol Knapps but haven't been able to get much information. What have you experienced with this variety?
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #39
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Container Ted, you have grown Resista Dwarf. I have seen it listed at Carol Knapps but haven't been able to get much information. What have you experienced with this variety?
It is another "saladette" size. My notes say that the taste was excellent and that I used most of the harvest for juice. I grew it in a 3 gallon nursery pot.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013   #40
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

The fruit I get from the Pixie is definitely round. It's possible that my pics are just edited or sized a bit badly so it makes them look a bit oval.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013   #41
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I just ordered some Fourth of July seeds from Carol ( wi-sunflower). I recommend trying those from her.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #42
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I wanted to put an update on The Miracle BPF.

Yields are great but the average size has dropped. I am now getting a lot of 4 oz fruits just like Tatiana's site says. Still taste great.

Not entirely sure why the size dropped. Partially due to setting a whole lot of fruit on a small plant I am sure. Maybe also due to them being planted in a new bed that isn't very fertile yet.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #43
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Jaune Flammee is a beautiful tomato, a bit mild for my tastes

This year I am growing Tondino Maremmano which is amazingly productive and the best flavored saladette/golf ball tomato I've ever grown.
Old August 3, 2013   #44
tache
Tomatovillian™

I always have a couple of Stupice plants. They never fail to produce and keep on producing all season. We really like the taste
tache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2013   #45
Crissyb
Tomatovillian™

My first year growing Jaune Flammee and it is early for me and golf ball size, but I wasn't impressed with the flavor?! I was looking forward to it but maybe the taste I don't care for is the mildness to it? I love the complex flavors of the black tomatoes so take my opinion with that.
My first year with Dancing with Smurfs I got in a trade and I love it! Golf ball size with little purple on top, good flavor and my single plant is loaded with fruit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0216.JPG (245.7 KB, 22 views)
Crissyb is offline   Reply With Quote