Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 10, 2009   #1
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Default What are the most overrated varieties?

Yeah, so everyone always has their list of faves, and sometimes even lists of those that we don't particularly care for. But what would you say are some of the most overrated in your opinions?

I know that soil, climate, etc. may potentially affect flavor and that a plant grown with the best of intentions may not measure up to its full potential, but having said that I'm gonna have to say Jaune Flammee is probably one of the most hyped up, yet average tasting tomatoes that I have ever eaten. I grew it thinking, "Hey, this might be a unique little gem." In truth, it is pretty to look at alright, but that's really all its got going for it. It has none of the characteristic sweetness that its supposed to have, and is actually rather on the acidy side.

Another one is Mr. Stripey (beefsteak). I had hoped that I had actually gotten the Tigerella, since that was what was on the picture of the Chef Jeff plant I bought, but it was not to be. I even tried to convince myself that it was Tigerella, but it definitely isn't. Now a lot of people have well said that Mr. Stripey is not that great, but you still have some people absolutely raving over it. Not only is it almost completly tasteless, but the tomatoes are semi-hollow, sort of like a bell pepper.

Your thoughts?
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #2
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure it's just my soil, climate, etc but so far the JD's are outstanding compared to Cherokee Purple. It's a bit early to call this one final, but so far Cherokee Purple is an average producer with OK taste compared to JD's Special C-Tex (which I find to have an outstanding taste, 9 of 10). I've just heard so much about Cherokee Purple. There's no doubt Cherokee Purple has a beautiful color, almost a dark copper overtone, but the taste hasn't blown me away.

Mortgage Lifters, in my opinion, are no where near the taste as other beefsteaks/slicers I've grown. The production is low and they split very badly.

Not saying that 'Pineapple' has a huge following but it so far has produced very small tomatoes that are bland. My garden is full of huge producers this year, two of which are Mr. Stripey and KBX which are much better then Pineapple in my opinion, though I'm not a big yellow/orange fan.

To sum it up as you've asked, Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter and Pineapple are disappointments, though I'm still trying to give Cherokee Purple some more 'lip time' before I call it a flop.

Interesting thread... thanks.
Old August 10, 2009   #3
DoubleJ
Tomatovillian™

This year for me, Anna Russian, KBX, Galinas yellow cherry, green grape, sungold II, and Stump of the World have dissapointed. Unless the tomatoes I harvest later in the summer are better, these have lost their spot in the rotation next year.

Bear Claw has rocked though. That and the mistakenly planted Champaign Cherries have earned multiple spots next year.
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #4
annecros
Tomatovillian™

It just has to be Cherokee Purple for me. JD's owns the spot now, and for the first time since I have been growing heirlooms, CP did not get sown.

JD's doesn't taste quite as good, but nearly. And all the other stuff (production, disease resistance) just outweighs the slight difference in flavor.

I finally came down on the side of Earl's Faux over Marianna's Peace. That was really, really hard though. I may regret it yet, and flip flop next season.
annecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #5
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Well, last Sunday our weekly radio garden guru went on and on about the great hybrids he thought everybody should grow, Early Girl, Celebrity, Jetsar etc, so I would say that they are over hyped. He did mention how much he liked Ramapo this year. This is the same guy who wouldn't grow black tomatoes because they looked unappitizing.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #6
annecros
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, to me - a person who doesn't understand that an ugly tomato is probably your best bet for flavor - well, they just don't understand.
annecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I container-ized 89 varieties this year. Still don't know how I got them all in. But, here we are in the dog days of August. Biggest disappointment this year is probably Berkeley Tie-Dye. Just haven't figured out when to eat them. They always taste unripened. Allowing them to further develop on the counter only leads to rotten spots. I may have to learn more of what the hoopla is all about with this one.

Another waste of my time was Opalka. I also grew Amish Paste and a couple of other pastes, and Opalka not only looked sick all the time, it took forever to produce fruit and not too many of those. May have to change its location and give it another try in the future. Amish Paste was superb.

All the others have had unique qualities that are easily appreciated for each, individually. And while I am still planning for next year, I haven't cut any players yet. There are still more than two months left in my season.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

Overrated by whom? By the breeder? By the vendor? By garden writers in periodicals or extension horticulturalists in local newspapers? Or by gardeners who rave online about their favorites?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #9
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Black cherry. It was mealy and prone to splitting, plus the taste was only so so.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #10
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

I think that some varieties just taste better where they are grown. Kellogg's Breakfast is one for me. I grew it twice. The first year I thought it was bland, but I gave it a second chance, still bland. I went to CHOPTAG's get together and tried one that VGary grew, and it was yummy! Same thing with Mortgage Lifter. The one from the Kentucky farmer's market was much better than any I've ever had up here.
Now my absolute favorite is Stump of the World, and it won best tasting last year at the tomato party. So maybe over on the west coast it just doesn't fair as well.
I love Black Cherry too.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #11
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
I think that some varieties just taste better where they are grown.
Remy
I cannot agree more.

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #12
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Maybe it's the terminology used. Overrated may be too strong a word, disappointed would describe tomatoes I had high hopes for that did well for others but not me.

Because I'm in quite an extreme climate it's happened often. The first heirloom I was really hyped about which did bad was Prudens Purple. Others since then I was really psyched about but was sorely disappointed were:

Gary O'Sena
Kelloggs Breakfast
Neves Azorean Red
Sioux
Opalka
Any heart (except Wes)
Sungold
Earls Faux
Large Pink Hungarian
Gregori's Altai
Gardeners Delight
Jaune Flamme
Diener
Early Rouge
Fireworks II
Marmande or Super Marmande
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #13
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i like jaune flamee. growing it up in the keweenaw, it has always set a good amount of fruit, and tasted pretty good to me, a hard combination to find in the frigid north where i lived. black cherry never lived up to its hype for me. it took too long to ripen, and the flavor just wasn't there. another stinker for me the only time i grew it, was mariannas peace. every fruit, and i mean every single one had blossom end rot. not a good northern tomato that one. i should give it another try in my new location to be fair

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #14
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

I always thought early girl was overrated.bland taste prone to cracking. I have had far better.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009   #15
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Overrated by whom? By the breeder? By the vendor? By garden writers in periodicals or extension horticulturalists in local newspapers? Or by gardeners who rave online about their favorites?
Anyone. Feel free to qualify your answer.

Great responses so far. The greatest thing that stands out is that some are saying Cherokee Purple was a disappointment for them, when I would give it 10 out of 10 from my experience. Then again, perhaps its climate, soil, or whatever.

And I agree with TZ-OH6 about the hybrid hype. Some of the hybrids are pretty good. I think Jet Star is just okay flavorwise, but very productive. Same thing for Early Girl. But to hear some people talk, hybrids are the only thing out there. The tide is changing, though.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote