Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 6, 2015   #1
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Seeds are dark

I'm fairly new at seed saving - maybe about 3 years now.

For the first time, my saved seeds are very, very dark brown. I've never seen this before. They are almost black. They do sink, however, but I'm afraid they may not be good.

What makes my saved seed so very dark? What am I doing? It's like one out of every five saved seed variety is dark. Do I keep them? Throw them out?

Thanks, again, in advance.

Donna

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

If you used the fermentation method, you let them ferment a little too long. Germination will not be quite as good, but it should be good enough to get something to grow.

I have done this and usually it is when there are too many irons in the fire and I don't pay attention. Don't throw them out, you should be OK.
Old August 6, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

What Paul replied is also mentioned in Carolyn's book on page 35. Dark Brown to Black color means that fermentation has gone on too long, but the seeds are still viable. (I can't believe I remembered that, but I checked and am right).

They should be fine

I have a memory? LOL
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hey DonnaMarie,

I had the same problem with my first batches of seed this year. It was cold, and I've been busy and forgot to count the days.. so you get discoloured seed.

I just wish the seed would do itself because I'm so way too busy right now, when they want to be saved.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #5
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default tomato seeds

Your black tomato seeds should be fine. My grandfather used to grow an old fashioned beefsteak tomato that when after fermenting the seeds would be darker in color and they would still produce plants the next season. I still grow that same tomato every season. My grandfather's old fashioned beefsteak tomato. He brought them from KY in 1955 and I love them every season. U can try and germinate a few on a dampened paper towel just to check them out. I'm sure they are fine. Some of my Carbon and Black from Tula seeds are also dark seeds.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes an overripe tomato will also spit out black seeds.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #7
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I had that happen with a tomato I just processed. Are those seeds viable?
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #8
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

I have been inundated with BER this year - the worst ever. Could it be that?

I've learned my lesson the first year I saved seed - I only ferment for a few days. The tomatoes could very well be overripe, and it also happened with cherry tomatoes that did not have BER. So, I really don't know.

And thank you for your responses, all of you!

Donna

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #9
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Donna, I usually let mine ferment for 6 days and once in a while I'll get a dark one but it'll still germinate.

As for BER, I usually get a bag of lime pellets with 3:1 ratio of Calcium to Magnesium and at transplant time, I'll toss a small handful in with the dirt at transplant time. Each week I'll dissolve a tablespoon of that in with a 1/2 gallon of water (along with my fertilizer) and water/feed the tomato plant. That has virtually eradicated my blossom end rot in all my plants EXCEPT for 2 varieties this year: Livingston's The Stone and Livingston's Golden Queen. These plants are big, lush, and beautiful but the fruits are rotted.
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote