Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 16, 2015   #1
gvozdika
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow cotyledons

I have this seedling with yellow cotyledons. It sprouted last night, in the morning I put it outside where it stayed all day in the sun. The cotyledons are still bright yellow with a little bit of greenish in the middle of one of them. What could it be?
The seed is Rosella Purple from wintersown.org.
gvozdika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like you had a seed that was almost an albino, but didn't quite make it. It happens sometimes in crosses and means the leaves are missing chlorophyll. Let it grow. Sometimes they will go ahead and turn green and do fine. If not you'll know in a few weeks when the seedling dies as the plant can't photosynthesize sugars. It is not often that you find albinism in plants, but it does happen.

Don't put it out in the sun. That will only burn it up. Put it under some lights or someplace to get filtered sun.

I hope it makes it for you.

Last edited by Starlight; March 22, 2015 at 08:24 PM. Reason: more thoughts
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Not every seedling will come up healthy and vigorous. I wouldn't waste a lot of time on that one.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I wish I had seen this days ago. It could mean that the mix it is growing in is too wet.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015   #5
gvozdika
Tomatovillian™

Thank you everybody. The seedling is almost a week old now. It got some green on the cotyledons. About 1mm of the true leaf is showing and it seems green! It is a very funny looking seedling: patchy bright yellow and green cotyledons, purple stem. I'll keep it, just to see how it turns. It's been outside since it emerged, I have bad luck with plants inside.

edit: AlittleSalt, the soil wasn't that wet when it germinated but it was a little bit too wet when I sowed the seed, it took 8 days to germinate.

Last edited by gvozdika; March 23, 2015 at 01:45 AM.
gvozdika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2015   #6
gvozdika
Tomatovillian™

Here is an update. It survived. Had some bird damage, no yellow true leaves.
Attached Images
File Type: png RosellaPurple_2.png (167.4 KB, 52 views)
Old May 10, 2015   #7
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Maybe you'll end up lucky and have a variegated seedling. I grew variegated tomatoes one year. The foliage was so pretty, but they had to be somewhat shaded in my heat and burning sun.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote