Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 7, 2017   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Not only do the folks down here not know how to drive in bad weather, we don't have enough snow/ice equipment either. Up until a couple years ago, we had 1, count it, 1 snowplow for the entire county- and our counties are fair sized. <grin> We now have 6 dump trucks that can be equipped with snow blades.

Mike came by this afternoon and carried me to the store since my truck was back visiting Charles again; he was going to leave me a vehicle, but had the suburban already warm, so dropped me at the store and run some other errands for himself. I really did not want to drive with my eyes swollen and sick, so it was really nice of him - shades of driving Miss Daisy!!

I must have been looking sickly, had people offering to hand me down items and the bagger insisted I get into the suburban while he loaded the groceries in the back seat- very sweet of him. By the time we got me home and groceries in, I was tuckered out.

Hoping no one else catches any bugs going about.

Also hoping the knee surgery goes well and all the driving will be in better weather and safe!

Stay warm everyone.

I used to go college in Memphis , TN.
Yeah , people over there did not know how to drive in the snow and ice and they did not have any equipment or trucks to sand the roads. So everything was shut down whenever there was some snow dust. No classes.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #17
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
We lived in Washington State for 4 years and Portsmouth, NH for another 3. Saw lots of Temps in the "minus 20's" and a couple below that. Learned to drive in SW Virginia around the Bristol area. I can only agree that you folks up north think it's a dusting. But the idiots that have lived here all their lives still don't know how to drive on it. I did the entirety of the 4 years in Moses Lake and Spokane, WA with only a set of "snow tires". Got stuck once and that was on level ground. Wheel slipped into somebody's hole they dug with their chains. Got out with a couple pieces of brush from a nearby field.

Yes, it's cold here. At least it is for this area. Currently it's 23 F and will be falling off tonight to the mid to low teens. This is panic time for the natives. This is why (when we can) we stay in and don't get amongst them while they are enjoying their "insane" times. One incentive to stay out of the fray is that about half of the other drivers are not insured. My State Farm agent told me that and showed some numbers to back up his statement.

Oh, well, the snow has paused for a while. We're gonna have a steak and baked tater tonight. Seems like a good time to just hunker down and cuddle up. The wife's surgery was moved to Tuesday, so we can be safe a few more days. I love the laid-back atmosphere of this place where I live. But the tradeoff is that we have to travel to medical and entertainment other than TV and rented movies.

Thanks for all the best wishes about the DW and her bad knee. She says "Thank you and it is certainly appreciated."

You folks take care and stay warm.
Small world, I'm in Ephrata (20 miles from Moses Lake). We're having one of the "winteriest" winters we've had in a long time. Very very cold and snowy. Sometimes we have just wet and rainy winters, I like those.
bad.kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #18
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Hey and Howdy, Kelpie. I was stationed at the old Larsen AFB which is now (I think) Grant County airport. I lived in downtown Moses Lake on 6th Avenue. My oldest son was born at the hospital on the old base. But, holy moly, that was 1964-1966.

Lots of good memories of the hunting and fishing there. I hope that Mount St. Helens didn't wipe out the hunting and fishing. Ducks, Ringnecked Pheasants, Geese, 22 inch German Brown Trout, Bass, Lake Trout, Crappie and Ling Cod were all a large part of our diet. Otherwise, we might have starved to death on the small pay the U.S. Air Force gave us.

Take care.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #19
bower
Tomatovillian™

We're like you Ted, off the beaten path and prefer to stay off the roads when it's bad. We had twice the normal snowfall in December, and since the week before Christmas, storm after storm. What's wierd is that we keep getting storms from the SouthEast - this is not normal for us, at all! These storms have high winds, mixed type of precipitation, and unpredictable amounts.

To make matters worse, the provincial government here have an austerity budget in place, where one of the things they cut to save money was the standard 24 hour snow clearing which is needed in this part of the world. There have been accident after accident due to this basically negligent decision, which put public safety at risk. We decided to postpone both of my seasonal parties due to bad weather this year, I don't want to put any friend of mine on those awful roads.

Stay safe, everyone, and if you don't have the public services to deal with foul weather on the roads, stay home until a better day!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #20
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
We lived in Washington State for 4 years and Portsmouth, NH for another 3. Saw lots of Temps in the "minus 20's" and a couple below that. Learned to drive in SW Virginia around the Bristol area. I can only agree that you folks up north think it's a dusting. But the idiots that have lived here all their lives still don't know how to drive on it. I did the entirety of the 4 years in Moses Lake and Spokane, WA with only a set of "snow tires".

You folks take care and stay warm.
Ted, your Washington experience was in the neck of the woods that I grew up (Okanogan). I think it was in 1978 that we went skiing at Mt Spokane and it was -22F. I don't recall any wind other than when you ski downhill you create your own wind chill. Alot of people stayed in the lodge to stay warm. I was one of the few on the slopes. Most likely I had my Insulated coveralls on, but even so, it was still cold. It was a bit of a journey getting there, plus the cost of the ski ticket, so dad gumit, I was gonna ski!
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #21
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I was on a detail to help find and recover a KC-135 that crashed to the south of the ski slopes. Man, was it cold. We had 10 feet of snow at the bottom of the crash site and 8 feet at the top. We spent two days on site and had a snow pit with a parachute over the top to help keep some warm in there. There was so much jet fuel in the snow, that we couldn't have a fire. I remember putting those ration cans of fruit cocktail inside my parka to thaw them out enough to eat.

When we came off site and out to that winding road that got you up the mountain to the lodge, the National Guard had set up a field kitchen. The greasy bacon and powdered eggs were delicious (they were the first warm food in three days) and the coffee was some ration (mostly chickoree) stuff that was dumped into the washing tub with melted snow. You dipped your canteen cup into it and got half a cup of grounds. But, it was hot and, at the time, the best cup of coffee in the world.

Now, that's how the military worked to not throw away all those C-Rations and K-Rations.

But, I did love the golf in the Spokane area. Indian Canyon, Down River, Esmeralda, and others. Ahhhhhh, memories !!!
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #22
Bulldog
Tomatovillian™

Ted the pix of your farm are beautiful. Just a dusting. Here in Atlanta, we got a dusting, but ice on roads and trees which keeps us at home. Thank goodness it is the weekend.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #23
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.kelpie View Post
Small world, I'm in Ephrata (20 miles from Moses Lake). We're having one of the "winteriest" winters we've had in a long time. Very very cold and snowy. Sometimes we have just wet and rainy winters, I like those.
Been through Moses Lake years ago- got a speeding ticket there. Think I stayed over night there and the restaurant/bar had an unusual beer called "Hnry's"? I have never liked beer, due to the bitter after taste, but they sent over a small glas with my meal and were real nice so I tried it. Liked it! No bad taste, no bittery face after I sipped it, very mild. I drank a whole bottle of beer for the first time in my life there!

Nice people, but it sure was windy and cold.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #24
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

That pic of Arkansas drivers is not far off. Drivers near the Red and Arkansas Rivers at least know what winters look like.

But for carnage, this one's hard to beat: El Paso got an inch of snow about 45 years ago. El Paso never gets snow, and some drivers of the southern persuasion had never even seen snow. The police stopped responding to minor incidents altogether. Nevertheless, they recorded over 400 major incidents in a single afternoon, in a city of maybe 300,000 at the time. It took weeks to clean up all the wreckage.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote