Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old 1 Week Ago   #76
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I did stop at the feed & seed yesterday to see about alfalfa meal or pellets. The pellets came in a 50 lb bag only, too much for just a trial run. But the meal was 50 cents/lb so I got 5 lbs.

Once I pull the last beans from that newly infected bed, I will begin applying the alfalfa meal to the bed and then plant beans there again in the fall.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #77
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
I did stop at the feed & seed yesterday to see about alfalfa meal or pellets. The pellets came in a 50 lb bag only, too much for just a trial run. But the meal was 50 cents/lb so I got 5 lbs.

Once I pull the last beans from that newly infected bed, I will begin applying the alfalfa meal to the bed and then plant beans there again in the fall.
I apply alfalfa pellets to my beds every season in my bed prep stage along with cottonseed meal, compost and chicken manure. Alfalfa is a fairly good long term fertilizer but you need to wait a bit after mixing a fair amount in your bed before planting to give it time to start breaking down. I don't know that it helps much with RKN or not since I have been applying it regularly for at least a decade or more and still have nematodes. I don't think they are as bad as they used to be and maybe the alfalfa is partially responsible for that. If it is then you should just go ahead and buy the big bag of pellets since they are much cheaper usually and they are easier to handle especially on windy days.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #78
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Alfalfa is a fairly good long term fertilizer but you need to wait a bit after mixing a fair amount in your bed before planting to give it time to start breaking down.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. I was going to apply the meal by the weekend and was wanting to resow the beans mid to late September if the soil temp isn't too hot. Do you think that's a long enough interval for breakdown? Also, about how much of the pellets weight-wise do you add to your beds?
Old 6 Days Ago   #79
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Thanks, Bill. I was going to apply the meal by the weekend and was wanting to resow the beans mid to late September if the soil temp isn't too hot. Do you think that's a long enough interval for breakdown? Also, about how much of the pellets weight-wise do you add to your beds?
I wondered about the breakdown timeframe, also...if you soak the pellets first, it tuns into "mush". That's what I did last winter. It seemed reasonable to me...

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #80
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Bill
I see what you add "Each Year" have you developed a problem of Excessive nutrients?
My Phosphorus and Calcium are Excessive. About 3 times the normal levels. Clemson U., our state ag. school said to back off all composting and only do Fall, Winter cover crops.
I normally add loads of; grass clippings, Fall, Winter leaves and horse manure.
Excessive nutrients being added.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #81
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have very high amounts of phosphorous, magnesium and calcium. Most of that is due to over use of cow manure which is really high in phosphorous. Alfalfa is mostly a source of slow release nitrogen and organic matter. Much of my soil imbalance is due also to using the recommended amounts of dolomite lime and triple 8 or 10 many years ago. I also had a problem of very high ph from overuse of fresh mushroom compost which was way too basic and so uptake of certain minerals was very poor for years.

Despite the high concentrations of some elements my soil is constantly in need of more nitrogen and potash. Alfalfa pellets and cottonseed meal are both good sources of slow release nitrogen and wood ashes and potassium sulfate help with my potash deficit.

I add between 5 and 10 pounds of cottonseed meal to every 10 ft of raised bed each season fall and spring and about half that amount of alfalfa meal. My results are so good that I am going to continue using them both at this rate until I see some diminishing results which so far I haven't seen. My results if anything are only getting better each year and my worm population continues to thrive.

It only takes a week or two for the alfalfa pellets to start breaking down well and less time than that for the cottenseed meal as long as the beds are wet down or rained on. If I need to plant right away after adding my supplements I just add a bit of high nitrogen quick release fertilizer along with my cottonseed meal and alfalfa pellets and wet the bed down really good and then wait a couple of days to plant.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #82
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I add between 5 and 10 pounds of cottonseed meal to every 10 ft of raised bed each season fall and spring and about half that amount of alfalfa meal...

It only takes a week or two for the alfalfa pellets to start breaking down well and less time than that for the cottenseed meal as long as the beds are wet down or rained on. If I need to plant right away after adding my supplements I just add a bit of high nitrogen quick release fertilizer along with my cottonseed meal and alfalfa pellets and wet the bed down really good and then wait a couple of days to plant.

Bill
Thanks for that. I have alfalfa meal so it should be fine to apply now and replant in the fall. if it helps, I'll go ahead and get pellets for use on more beds.
Old 5 Days Ago   #83
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for info. I need some added nitrogen at beginning of every year. Was told my Phosphorus is @ 807 lbs/acre and Ag guy at Clemson stated at that level it could start blocking Calcium uptake. Have had no BDR for years though.
Thanks
again
Rick
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote