Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 9, 2019   #571
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Fermented peppers and cherry tomatoes.
You can't go wrong and it's practically free.
Please try it.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019   #572
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Fermented peppers and cherry tomatoes.
You can't go wrong and it's practically free.
Please try it.
Forgive me. I haven't read about fermentation. I know you have written a lot about it. The temperatures are getting higher with a lot of humidity. The past 4 days - I have been living through pain and anxiety like never before. I do keep watering the tomatoes and peppers daily. I'm doing it instinctively. It's my job to take care of everyone and everything else.

Sorry if any of you don't understand.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019   #573
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Well, if you have too many of the varieties that you plant because others like them, next time you can take 2 or 3 of those pots and plant varieties that you like instead. Some larger varieties. Yes, some food banks do take garden produce from people. My Sister In Law's father gives a ton to a Food Bank in Maine.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019   #574
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I am sorry, Robert, I didn't read your post above mine before replying. I hope you feel better soon!
Old July 11, 2019   #575
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sue, your reply was spot-on. I do incorporate pain and disease in what I write often. In a way, I apologize for that, but we deal with a lot of things in life. It makes each one of us different. Please never apologize in any thread I start.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; July 11, 2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old July 11, 2019   #576
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I bought some squash seeds for a fall garden today. Gardening in containers is so different. They did their best in the diseased gardens, but in the containers they have a chance.
Old July 12, 2019   #577
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The forecast could go on the weather thread, but why bother - it's typical July weather here. Highs around 98 and lows are around 78F (36C and 25C) It sounds simple, but for gardeners and people - the humidly is high which causes noticeable breathing problems and heat indexes to soar. That is what the weather stations talk about.

They don't mention dew that lasts all night and up until around 9am or so. Your cultivated plants, grass, trees, and weeds have to live through that. Could you imagine living through that yourself? Hot and dripping wet humid overnight to wake up to temperatures quickly rising to near 100F (37C).
Old July 14, 2019   #578
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Good news and bad news. I like getting the bad news over with first.

Bad news: Putting too many holes near the bottom of the buckets sounded like a good idea. More drainage for when it just won't stop raining. However, roots grow out of the buckets and into the RKN/FW3 soil through those extra holes. It did happen with one bucket. It is being solarized in 12 hours of good ole Texas July heat and sunshine - it will work or maybe not? 1 out of 22 buckets, if I learned the hard way, at least it was minimal.

Good news: I have learned a lot about tomatoes and what some people like and dislike about taste. That "T" word! (Taste) that is so difficult to discuss. I will elaborate on this soon.

The container garden is planted in an area that I think will oversummer. To do that here in this part of Texas is unique.

As long as my health permits, I'll post some pictures Sunday.
Old July 14, 2019   #579
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Roots growing out of holes and into 'toded soil... the best laid plans go awry. Could you put them up on wooden pallets or is it too late for this year? Maybe on pallets any roots emerging from the extra drain holes would get air-pruned or toasted? Just a thought.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2019   #580
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

GoDawgs, That's what I'll be doing when I use the buckets for the fall garden.

I'm typing one handed as the CRPS/RSD is bad in my lefy arm and hand today - so no pictures today. We did find some new-to-us varieties of tomatoes we like, and some that we won't grow again. For some reason, it's easier to remember the names of the two we don't care for:

Rainbow Mix - an heirloom that's a slicer. It's pretty and tastes good enough, but has no shelf life whatsoever. It's a picj it and eat it now variety. It also produces more like a DET but would not be a good sauce tomato (Our opinions)

Red Pear - not enough taste and it does not do well with overwatering. It might do better grown in a dryer climate?
Old July 14, 2019   #581
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

window screen over the holes in the bottom of the bucket
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2019   #582
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I would try now covering over those holes with something like duct tape.
Old July 14, 2019   #583
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

double post. sorry
Old July 14, 2019   #584
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Corks or stoppers.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2019   #585
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Corks would be cool. I have already put 3M duct tape on the holes. There's no rain in the forecast.

The screen idea sounds good too.