Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 27, 2010   #1
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Default What are you using in ground Dolomite Lime or Garden Gypsum?

I've been using gypsum for the last 4 years in my beds. Got me to thinking why I have not been using dolomite lime, my reasons are the following: 1-when I got my soil tested the report said to supplement with gypsum, 2-I always thought that dolomite lime would drive my soil ph too high and while tomato plants will grow well in a wide range of ph I thought 6.5-6 would be ideal. My understanding is that gypsum doesn't dramatically change soil ph, but maybe I'm worng about that. Then I thought about gypsum not having any Mg and dolomite lime does and how I was going to supplement Mg, so I put a good shake of epsom salt in my beds a couple weeks before planting. I didn't add compost to my beds this year but have in the past. Anyway what are ya'll using to supplement Ca in the ground/beds and the reasons/believe behind that. Thanks

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote