Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 23, 2010   #1
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Default Ludmilla's Red Plum

I've got several seedlings of this variety started. For those that have experience with this variety, can you describe it's texture, taste, etc.? I'm particularily interested to know if it's like a paste tomato, or is it more juicy? Your input may influence how many I plant in my garden, and how many I give away.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2010   #2
clara
Tomatovillian™

Douglas, it's not a paste tomato. Thin skin, very meaty and very good flavor - I had it last year and I liked it for eating fresh or in a salad. clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2010   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Skin and outer walls were similar to a paste but it's more heart shaped and the interior is juicier than a modern paste tomato, but maybe not as juicy as Amish Paste. The vine was easier to manage than Amish Paste which I find too floppy and limp to grow in a cage or tie to a stake. Ludmilla's was easy to grow up a stake.

Also, it wasn't mealy like a Roma type, and I thought it tasted way better than a Roma type paste or the more modern hybrid paste tomatoes and used it for a salad tomato rather than a cooking tomato.

It was productive in a poor location with newly turned and minimally amended soil with only about 6 hours full sun in the afternoon. So it deserves a chance in better conditions to prove itself more fully.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm, heart shaped says Travis?

I love this variety. Not a paste tomato and yes, somewhat juicy, not as seedy as many, excellent yield, lovely taste, and my seeds directly from Reinhard in Germany as I'm sure Clara's were via perhaps Herr Hahm, who sells many of Reinhards varieties that he introduces as well as ones he's bred.

Mine were plum shaped, not heart shaped or even almost heart shaped, a large plum at that. I don't know how to explain texture, I could if it were one of the many paste varieties that have dense flesh, I think, but I can't describe the texture of this variety.

What I can add is that the plants were vigorous and the taste excellent and I'd use them simply as a fresh eating tomato or cut up in salads, etc.
Old April 25, 2010   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

I'm probably not the best person to describe tomato shapes. When I said heart I guess I meant it is pointed at the blossom end and slightly more bulged midway down the fruit than at the shoulders. I guess that could be plum shaped too. But mine weren't as fat as I would think of as a plum.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2010   #6
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

I grew it last year (and again this year) from seeds courtesy of Carolyn and it was plum shaped, slightly pointed on the end. (Travis, maybe a narrowish plum shape? )

Susan
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2010   #7
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like a good one!
Old April 26, 2010   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here's the thread I started in 2008 when I grew it. So take a look and see what you are in for. Ami

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...7;27s+Red+Plum
Old April 26, 2010   #9
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I am also growing Ludmilla's Red Plum and L. Pink Heart for the first time this year, so thank you for the thread Ami..Those are some great looking Tomatoes..Love your pic's!!
The descriptions and pictures are making my mouth drool right now and I really hope we all have a great garden year..And lot's of ripe tomatoes..

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2010   #10
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link to the thread Ami. Looks like a workhorse of a variety.