Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old January 16, 2008   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Melons

I got Johnnys catalog in today and noticed some watermelons that look appealing. I quit growing watermelons because they are so common here in the summer and nothing I grew was any different than what I could buy, and I don't like picking seeds out before every bite. But these seedless melons look promising.

Do any of you have experience (growing or tasting) Farmer's Wonderful" or "Solitaire" watermelons listed on page 96 of the 2008 Johnny's catalog?

And do any of you have experience with any of the cantalopes in the Johnny's catalog? Ambrosia is a favorite here, but I don't see those in the catalog. There are some that look really good, but of course I haven't tasted them and thought some of you might have.

Thanks!

Don
Old January 16, 2008   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've grown Passport twice - in PA and in NC - it is a fine melon. Its best attributes are eariness, size and yield. The flavor is very good, but not exceptional. I also grew Touchdown last year - it is a really nice highly flavored melon that didn't yield as highly as Passport, but is a bit more flavorful. The small yellow watermelon did not do well at all (can't think of the name right now...Sunshine or something like that?) - poor yield, and the one fruit I picked lacked flavor.