Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old May 8, 2008   #16
happyscientist
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery_Goss View Post
But many of the old melon varieties were even bigger. Nutmeg MuskMelon is bigger than most watermelons. And watermelons were available in big sizes then too, like Cobb or Kolb Gem.
I am glad you said that. I was considering nutmeg for next year.
happyscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008   #17
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Gary, I do plan to offer the scaly bark it may be a couple of years though. I have three sources of seed and three seed types. I have grown two of the three and need to grow the third in isolation to increase my seed inventory then do a side by side growout for comparison. The seed I have is a large white seeded variety( from you), a small black seeded variety ( Dr. Bradshaw at Clemson University)and a large black seeded variety ( Glenn Drowns). Interesting to have three seed types of the same melon and they all seem to be the same. I would like to know which is the true Scaly bark if it is possible.But old catlogs did'nt always mention seed color only the common name. I also have a new yellow meated watermelon that I have been searching for for many years. My grandad grew a dark green rind 25-35# round yellow fleshed melon. Those seed where lost before I was born. I only now of it by description from stories by my aunts and uncles and mom of the melon and how good it was he also grew the stone mountain. I have been looking for a source and have grown several yellows from locals around Northern Ala.but none where the dark green rind. I did recieve seed from a lady at this years Southern legacy seed swap in Georgia of a white seeded yellow meat watermelon that has a dark green rind and produces 25-35# oval melons.She was my age and this melon was grown by her Grandfather in NW Ga. this is not far from north central ALA where my mom grew up so I was excited to get the seed. Those seed alone would have made the trip to Athens a success. I can only grow three varieties of melons a year and only one large growout,with out hand pollination. I plant a period garden at a Historic plantation that I use to grow out some varieties for trail and isolation and I have the yellow meated watermelon planted there. I plant a spring and a fall crop at my place.I have 200ft of row of the stone mountain growing for more seed right now and I will do a july planted fall crop of the third scaly bark. I am growing a new muskmelon for Bakers creek called million dollar melon it has an intersting story and will be in the 2009 catolog.Rodger
rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2008   #18
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

All this melon talk is making me hungry. Wish we could grow them easily here. I have Jenny Lind and Noir Des Carmes, but they are both so tiny, and the night temps have been in the 50s. I will try putting WOWs around them to see if that helps. Oh well, I'm enjoying the reading.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote