Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 19, 2018   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Seed Started Lighting

This is how I am going to start tomato seeds this year. It is really simple to build/make. I cut a 4' x 21" sheet of 3/4" plywood with one rounded end in case I bump into it. It is sitting on a 4' tall chest of drawers inside our house - where it's nice and warm. And a folded white sheet on top of the plywood. The sheet is there in case I spill water. I was also thinking that the white sheet might reflect a little light too.

There are three 4' long T8 light fixtures hung at 7 inches apart (Sold cheap at big box stores). They are attached with the short chain they came with and then nylon string up to the hooks that I screwed into two 1' x 4''s that are screwed into one ceiling joist.

This is where I'll start the seeds in containers shown in the picture, and also where they will be after potting up into Solo cups. The containers are empty now and placed to show the versatility of what you could do. (The yellow stripes and spots are my camera acting up - it's all freshly painted white.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0012.JPG (37.1 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0013.JPG (32.9 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0015.JPG (42.5 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0016.JPG (39.7 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; January 19, 2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Seed Starting Lighting...lol messed up the title.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #2
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

That will work nicely
Old January 19, 2018   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks nice.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #4
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Perfect ... you are all set to give them a good start. Just give thought as to where all of those started plants will go after 4-6 weeks !!

I hope the weather warms up quickly for you guys, I saw the latest cold snap on the news ... not typical for your area for sure !!
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #5
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I have a similar setup. I put aluminum foil around the sides to reflect light back onto the plants.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #6
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

I would advise putting a sheet of plastic between the cloth sheet & the plywood.

Perhaps the 3 fixtures are too much but, on the plus side, you shouldn't have to turn the trays at all.

Last edited by nyrfan; January 19, 2018 at 10:36 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #7
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I have a similar setup. I put aluminum foil around the sides to reflect light back onto the plants.

Nan
Excellent idea!
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Nan, I thought of the aluminum foil. I would be very interested in knowing your results. I wish I could compare them to the white theme I'm going with. The lights are two soft white lights each in fixtures 1 and 3 and two natural lights in the middle light fixture. The natural lights are warmer - you can feel it easily, but they're not hot.

I am curious if the natural lights would be better to start pepper seeds with? However, after pepper seeds have sprouted - they don't require as much light and water as tomato plants do. This is from my experience with pepper plants, and I'm sure others will disagree with my findings. Any other ideas and/or facts are very welcome.

nyrfan, I'm not sure about too much light? I have given it some thought over the time I've been here at Tomatoville. Each year is an experiment for me combining things I learn along the way. There are so many posts that others have made about their way of doing things - that I didn't ask why. I should have.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #9
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I give as much light as I can as long as the seedlings are not overheated. LED lights seem to be the future as they give little heat. Fans driven with a thermostat can help to limit the temperature under the lights.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post

Nan

If you have a larger area to cover, try Mylar foil emergency blankets. They typically only cost a couple of bucks, will cover a large area, and can be re-used year-to-year. I have a couple taped to the sides and back of the shelf unit I use for seedlings. They also hold in any little bit of heat the lights put out which is good because my basement can get a bit too chilly sometimes.

Salt your set up looks great. I'm glad to see you're back at it this year!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #11
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I use a similar setup on a wire rack. 3 lights works perfect b/c you don't need to turn and it keeps the plants stocky. Adding a small clip fan will also help with making the plants strong and stocky.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I use flat white or as close as I can get for reflectors back into the growing area.

But the most important thing is you use reflectors back into the growing area not whether it is foil of some sort or white.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #13
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
flat white
Same here - flat or matte white.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #14
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Looks good.
Old January 20, 2018   #15
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I'm currently growing tomatoes under my lights. They are doing spectacularly well. I have (5) 4' LED lights, two bulbs each, plus the aluminum foil, plus table is white. The lights never get hot. (BTW, it's REALLY hard to get "too much light" indoors for tomatoes.)
20180108_133735_resized.jpg

Tomatogrowing_resized.jpg
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote