Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 28, 2018   #31
bower
Tomatovillian™

I have three more Whiskeyjack plants that are flowering now, two of them have whopper flowers as well. That first one looks like it has set already, so we'll soon see what shape the fruit is. As for the bird, he got a lot closer to me when I was out working without the camera. They don't mind getting right in to take a good look at you.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #32
bower
Tomatovillian™

Couple pics today to update the early fruit shapes.
Three of six Whiskeyjacks have earlier and bigger (= earlier) fruit happening. Two of them have delightful shaped chubby hearts. However, as it turns out, the larger and nicely shaped fruit in the pictures are actually the second fruits set. The first one, from the twisty blooms, have obviously not pollinated evenly and are misshapen, with fruit getting larger only on one side. Interesting that both plants put more into growing the second fruit, which are more than twice the size.
Third pic is the other early fruiter, with a blunt and wierdly shaped double fruit.
The other plants have much smaller fruit - two of them have barely pea sized fruits.
So all key fruit things being equal, (taste, sweetness and texture), the first plant with most fruit set in the first cluster will likely be my selection for F4.
It is disappointing that the first fruits were not perfect and catface free, but I'm happy that they did endure (are still enduring!) some extreme early spring conditions and seizing the opportunities to set fruit asap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WJ3-firstcluster-85d.JPG (269.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg WJ4-85dfruit.JPG (196.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg WJ2-blunt-misshape.JPG (219.9 KB, 67 views)
Old May 27, 2018   #33
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

They look great Bower! Especially that perfect heart ❤️
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #34
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Karen... fingers crossed it is the tastiest one as well!
Old July 12, 2018   #35
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I tasted my first Whiskeyjack today! The first large ripe tomato from my garden was a Siamese tomato, wrapped around the stem, but I was able to cut it off and pry the two apart without causing any splits.

I have to say that the taste was excellent for the first tomato off the plant. The typical smooth, delicious heart taste .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #36
bower
Tomatovillian™

Glad you enjoyed it Linda!
My early Whiskeyjacks have all been very smooth, the first two candidates were not very sweet but the third one, that ripened about four days later, was really nice! Not super sweet but a bit sweet, and especially tasty. My second one ripe was a siamese too! It was better than the earliest of all. Somehow the smaller first cluster fruits have snuck off to be enjoyed elsewhere, so I guess I'll have to wait and hope for second cluster sweetness! I have two plants that haven't ripened any yet, and one that's hanging an uuugly catface i guess I'll have to eat that one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WJ2-sliced.JPG (178.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg WJ3-sliced.JPG (145.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg WJ4-sliced.JPG (170.3 KB, 39 views)
Old July 14, 2018   #37
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

We had two Whiskeyjacks fried with our bacon and egg breakfast this morning. Simply delicious .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote