Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2013   #1
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default miracle grow pro fertilizer?

Every year i use this in early summer for my tomato plants, only once a year. My plants have had a lot or rain and now 3-5 days of sun 8-11hrs and heat is coming.I have 6 plants with flowers and they are only 10" high.I have only use fish food this summer.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Is this a confession? Like eating McDonald's.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #3
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Yes i fell terrible about this. i need to go to church!!
Old July 6, 2013   #4
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

I use manure compost and Jobes tomato spikes at planting then Miracle Grow Tomato Fertilizer later in the summer because its easy to put inline with my drip system. That's what I do for what it is worth. Feels good to finally confess.

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #5
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

I don't use anything with the Miracle-Gro brand name on it. My experiences have been universally negative. If you want to grow tomato plants for foliage alone, though, it is indeed miraculous.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #6
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
Every year i use this in early summer for my tomato plants, only once a year. My plants have had a lot or rain and now 3-5 days of sun 8-11hrs and heat is coming.I have 6 plants with flowers and they are only 10" high.I have only use fish food this summer.

Filmnet,

I say use what works best for you..
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #7
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Wow. Miracle Gro hooked up directly to a slow drip. Now I'm getting excited :-) Easy on the MG criticism. The All Purpose liquid is just a 3-1-2 ratio, and very good for containers. I use all types of fertilizers.
Old July 10, 2013   #8
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

This is MC Pro very strong used and sold to stores only a few yrs ago. A friend had this it is used in stores to get flowers and plants looking nice, then at home they went down or died. I was learning about how they get the plants looking so nice.
Old July 10, 2013   #9
Lowlander
Tomatovillian™

Mater Magic!!! that stuff is awesome but at $5/small jug, it gets pricey if you have a bunch of plants. That and OCCASSIONAL application of something we got from a guy who works at one of the university agricultural depts. (he said something along the lines of 40-40-40 but I can't remember the specifics). He simply told us to use it very sparingly as it was industrial strength.
Lowlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2013   #10
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlander View Post
Mater Magic!!! that stuff is awesome but at $5/small jug, it gets pricey if you have a bunch of plants. That and OCCASSIONAL application of something we got from a guy who works at one of the university agricultural depts. (he said something along the lines of 40-40-40 but I can't remember the specifics). He simply told us to use it very sparingly as it was industrial strength.

Yes i remember the package it had numbers like around 35, 40s. blew me away when i read it. The friend who had it got it from his mother, she had it from 1980s. He but it on plants in pots and the plant were crazy.
Old July 10, 2013   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

MG is a byproduct of the petroleum refining process. Yum!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2013   #12
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Just found it on Goggle MG Nursery Select
I swear mine was stronger though!
24-8-16
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 14.png (112.6 KB, 28 views)
Old July 10, 2013   #13
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

24-8-16 is horrible for tomatoes. You'll be better off with 8-24-16 especially at fruit set time.

Higher nitrogen is ok in early spring when tomatoes are in their growth phase (with-in reason), but not good at all when they start blooming.

Tomatoguy had it exactly right "If you want to grow tomato plants for foliage alone, though, it is indeed miraculous."

Personally I prefer slow release organic ferts so I don't have to add anything. And if I do think they need a boost, I have some low nitrogen fish emulsion 2-5-3

Read this link back in 1934 about Rutgers. New Jersey State Horticultural Society News

Notice page 2 "... growers should not apply as much nitrogen early in the season ... If fertilized in the same manner as Pritchard, the vines may be too rank and the fruit will be late in setting and developing" so this has been known a very long time.

Now this was talking about the differences between cultivars. However, ANY tomato regardless of type can be over fertilized with nitrogen and end up with the same effect........It is just that heavy foliage cultivars, the effect is more critical and a HUGE number of cultivars have Rutgers in their parentage. Just something to think about. Not only that but it also subjects the plants to increased disease and insect damage. Probably the biggest mistake new growers make IMHO.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; July 10, 2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add link and description for reference.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2013   #14
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys, I am organic Neptune's Harvest and my kitchen compost, Espoma also. But i put 6 plants in late because someone was eating my plants, i put 16 plants in May24. By June 20 I had only 11, the 6 plants i bought were Cherokee Purple plants. And they were in small 6 plants,so June 30 i put the Mg on them. There plants are in ground June 1, to Aug 30.
Old July 11, 2013   #15
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I think it was discussed here a few years back, Feldon. You were probably a member by then and remember it. I didn't know MG was a byproduct of petroleum processing, but it was stated here that it is a salt. I believe I have that correct.

Logic and conventional wisdom says this stuff should not work and if it did, it should be bad for you. Yet this is probably the most popular selling form of backyard gardeners and flower growers. It grows plants like crazy and I've never heard of an ill-effect from it when used correctly.

I do love TomatoTone, though. And Alaskan fish oil.