Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 23, 2012   #1
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default Fertilome products

I use there Ultimate Potting Mix for stating peppers and tomatoes inside, also in herb pots, flower pots. Mixed with my compost only all grow great, very light. This is only sold in one Garden store around here, we have 3 box stores terrible garden stuff. I see that a new movie is on youtube i hope i can put it here they have worm soil.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyTqA...eature=related
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012   #2
tedln

I also use "Ultimate" as an all purpose soil. It's sold by most garden centers in my area along with all the Miracle Grow products. Fertilome also produces a soil named "Ultra" which is more difficult to find and seems to be designed more for professional growers. I found one Fertilome product at one grower that had no sticks of any size in it and it contained some bone meal for starting plants. I don't remember it's name but it was the best seed starting soil I've ever used.

Most of the Fertilome products contain a lot of ground peat moss which is fine for me. Some people don't like peat moss products preferring ground bark with some moisture retention products like pearlite. I think "Promix" is one of the ground bark products, but I've never been able to find Promix in my area.

Ted
Old May 24, 2012   #3
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

I love it use it from starting seeds to straight out of the bag, to a mix of 1/2 of my compost. Perfect for flower pots, tomatoes in pots, herbs pots. I love mixing this different for some plants, and perfect for wintering some plants inside over the winter, water goes through this mix nice.
Old May 24, 2012   #4
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
I love it use it from starting seeds to straight out of the bag, to a mix of 1/2 of my compost. Perfect for flower pots, tomatoes in pots, herbs pots. I love mixing this different for some plants, and perfect for wintering some plants inside over the winter, water goes through this mix nice.
I have a lot of it in containers growing everything from flowers to vegetables. I change the container soil every couple of years with the old soil being recycled into my raised beds. When used in the raised beds, it is perfect for root crops like carrots to penetrate and grow in.

Ted
Old May 24, 2012   #5
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

I would love to try the new one with the worn casting, nice idea with the pots, i did save some pots over the winter the dirt is still the same.
Old May 24, 2012   #6
tedln

My raised beds are full of worm castings because I bury a lot of Alfalfa pellets as I turn the beds over each winter. The worms love the alfalfa and leave me with the bonus of worm castings. It wouldn't work as well in my containers so the worm casting potting soil could be very good for containers. I'm going to look for it and see if it has any information about the percentage of castings contained in the soil.

I always look for garden centers that carry the fertilome products. It has always seemed to me they provide the highest quality of everything in the largest volumes at the lowest comparative price. I buy my BT products and fungicide products in their brand because the quality is great and the price is lower.

Ted