Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2013   #1
fran_always
Tomatovillian™

Default Marianne Jones's "Mystery" tomato

Hello, everyone. When I ordered my seeds this year, I received a bonus pack of a "Mystery" tomato. Here is a picture of it. I thought you might like to know.
It looks like a regular leaf cherry variety and it is early. If Marianne knows what the mystery tomato seeds are that she sent out, I'd like to know the name.
In any case, thanks for the bonus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mystery Tomato.jpg (625.8 KB, 85 views)
fran_always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #2
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Most of Marianne's seeds are "mystery varieties", since her new boy toy has commandeered her website to sell all kinds of genetically unstable crosses. It's pretty much a hit-or-miss crapshoot when growing out any tomato seeds you've purchased from them.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Too early to tell anything other than the fruit looks to be round and the vine appears extremely healthy and vigorous.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran_always View Post
Hello, everyone. When I ordered my seeds this year, I received a bonus pack of a "Mystery" tomato. Here is a picture of it. I thought you might like to know.
It looks like a regular leaf cherry variety and it is early. If Marianne knows what the mystery tomato seeds are that she sent out, I'd like to know the name.
In any case, thanks for the bonus.
Fran, as to genetically unstable varieties I think it depends on which section of her website you got your tomatoes from.

If the regular section all should be OK, but if from the 19 pages of new ones for 2013, yes, many of them are genetically unstable.

So which varieties did you get and from which section of the website?

The only person who would know what your mystery bonus pack would be, would be Marianne. But knowing her I don't think she'd send out a known variety and label it mystery.

So it could be an unstable one, and if you want you can always e-mail her and ask.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old June 27, 2013   #5
fran_always
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, it's so nice to hear from you. I hope you are feeling better.
From Marianne I am growing Dixiewine and McMurray #10, but the later looked weak and I decided not to use them since I had extra Dixiewine.

I am growing "your" NAR. It has had 3 green tomatoes on the plant for a while now and is the second earliest for me this year.

I am also growing Goose Creek from Gleckler and my faithful Jaune Flammée.

If you'll remember me: after your book came out, I bought 60 of the varieties from Chuck Wyatt and grew nothing but tomatoes that year. Quite a summer! (And I've grown Jaune Flammée ever since, so I owe you one.)

Fran
fran_always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran_always View Post
Carolyn, it's so nice to hear from you. I hope you are feeling better.
From Marianne I am growing Dixiewine and McMurray #10, but the later looked weak and I decided not to use them since I had extra Dixiewine.

I am growing "your" NAR. It has had 3 green tomatoes on the plant for a while now and is the second earliest for me this year.

I am also growing Goose Creek from Gleckler and my faithful Jaune Flammée.

If you'll remember me: after your book came out, I bought 60 of the varieties from Chuck Wyatt and grew nothing but tomatoes that year. Quite a summer! (And I've grown Jaune Flammée ever since, so I owe you one.)

Fran
Fran, what a wonderful surprise to find that you know me, but I'll be honest and say that no way can I remember when you bought all those seeds from Chuck. When my book came out there were two folks who wanted all the varieties in my book that they didn't have already and those were Glenn Drowns at Sandhill and Chuck.

The Dixiewine and McMurray ones from Marianne should be fine, but as I said above, I doubt Marianne would send out a known variety as a mystery one so see how you like it, and if so, save some seeds and grow again next year putting out quite a few plants. If all are the same, which I doubt, it could be stable, but if different plants with different fruits then probably not genetically stable.

You've got some excellent choices from other places so it should be a great year for you, and actually all of us here in the NE, if the darn rains and storms would just stop and let the sun shine in between.

Tville is a great place, glad you're here, there are many wonderful folks here so read a lot, post a lot and a very warm welcome to you.

Carolyn