Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old February 8, 2017   #646
encore
Tomatovillian™

well i find the pusher a lot easier, as you push it in , and in the case of the kraut, which makes it's own brine, the next day i just open lid up check for anything that might be floating, in this case one little piece, close the lid up and forget about it til you want to taste test it. no weights to get off kilter or sink, or have to mess around with trying to get out of jar when you want to taste, no burping jars, i just think it's alot faster and easier, many differant ways to do it, i just prefer this product. ---tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #647
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I was looking at the lids because I know myself well enough to know I would forget to burp my jars and the water level tubing dohickeys look like a PITA to clean. When I'm trying to decide if something is worth it I consider my time. I don't have enough of it and anything that saves me some fiddling I'm ok with. That said I do think they are overpriced.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #648
encore
Tomatovillian™

the system i'm using will take you less than 5 mins. if that to clean everything up. you must be a really busy guy! lol like i said, everyone has their own way of doing things, @ 10 bucks a piece for everything but jar, to me it's worh it.---tom
Old February 8, 2017   #649
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I was speaking to why I will likely buy those lids I linked encore, those things you posted look neat as well.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #650
encore
Tomatovillian™

oh i missed that , i understand what your says now. lol if you get them let us know how they turn out, just wondering how you keep everything below brine in that one, unless i missed that too lol---- take care---tom
Old February 8, 2017   #651
encore
Tomatovillian™

read some questions and answers on site, they recommend some type of weight to keep it down, but others stated they didn't use weight and got no mold.
Old February 9, 2017   #652
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Not meaning to put down any of these products it is just that I am having great luck with my mason jars and lids.
No mold and I am packing the product so it doesn't float to the top.

I just started a batch of daikon radish.
I bet they will be fantastic because I love salted radishes.
Worth
Hi Worth, did you slice or chop the daikon or keep it whole? I think it sounds good, too.

I just finished making a batch of kraut: mixed green and purple cabbage with a shredded turnip and a shredded golden beet. I flavored it with a little bit of minced ginger. Came out really good. It made about 2-1/2 qts.

I really want to make kimchee. I love the pickled daikon my husband brings home from the Korean grocer. Sometimes they add a little too much garlic for my palate though.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #653
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sliced is all I did no spices.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #654
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I wonder what a short ferment on some shredded iceberg lettuce would be like?
Might do that this weekend.
Worth
Old February 11, 2017   #655
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I wonder what it is with the Brassica plants and fermenting.
The radishes are really going to town big time.
For people that like the it the smell coming out of the jar is heavenly.
Worth
Old February 12, 2017   #656
encore
Tomatovillian™

just wondering if anyone fermented any garlic? i have some that is i little over a week into fermenting, and was wondering if it's supposed to look all cloudy like this? i spooned the foam off the top, no mold, smelled like pretty strong garlic! lol suppose to keep it fermenting for 4 -5 weeks or until it stops bubbling, according to recipe before putting in frig.. ----tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (108.3 KB, 80 views)
Old February 12, 2017   #657
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Someone here did and they haven't reported back yet.
The cloudiness is fine.

Worth
Old February 18, 2017   #658
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The fermented radishes are a real let down to me.
Now they taste like sour salty radishes.

Worth
Old February 18, 2017   #659
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

It might be best to ferment the young garlic, fully-grown but before the stalks die off and the skins dry. My family used to do it every fall, peel off the outer dirty layers and ferment them whole. after the initial ferment in lightly salted water, they are kept in water with soy sauce and sugar added, so they always look dark. They are not that garlicky then, but delicious. You may find Japanese version of that in Asian grocery shops.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #660
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone tried making Miso?

My mom used to make it this way: pick, wash, and soak the soy beans, then boil them, mash them up into a dry paste, which is then formed into big bricks , I'd say about 6"x6"x12". Then wrap them up in clean paper, and leave them on a indoor shelf to ferment and dry, for two-three months.
In the coming spring, the bricks, now look like super old moldy bread, are broken into 2-3 inch chunks, and placed inside a huge clay vault (is that the right word? Big deep open mouthed clay container), in which water and salt are added. Quite a bit of salt actually, 1 to every 3-4 volume measure of the soy paste. Then we used a tool similar to that used in making butter, a stick with a small flat board at the end, to stir and turn the mixture a few times everyday, outside in the sun. The pot is covered with a piece of cheese cloth with weights tied to its corners. In a few weeks, it will be ready, the consistency is similar to that of pancake mixture.
We used miso a lot, mostly as a salad dressing, with garlic and vinegar. Or added to fried hot chili peppers with pork to make a nice condiment. Or as a more flavorful substitute of soy sauce.
Cooked, salted and fermented soy beans themselves are also used in cooking. Like in some Szechuan dishes.
I doubt anyone would try these, but I just want to tell how those things are done by some people in another part of the world.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; February 18, 2017 at 07:57 PM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote