Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 16, 2013   #1
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing celery, any pointers?

Anyone ever start your own celery? I have a terrible time with it--the plants are so delicate, the seeds minuscule. I love celery for my homemade chicken soup and would love to grow my own, any pointers?

I also love my own carrots for chicken soup and fortunately can grow them, even picking them well into the winter just leaving them in the ground until needed.
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I've grown both Utah Tall as well as Tango celery. Both don't require blanching and are excellent for eating and cooking in soups, etc.

I start them in seedling trays a few seeds per cell, then I will thin out:

Here are the Tango in 31 gallon EarthTainers:

They will also do very well in the Earthbox, 6 plants per box.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #3
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Oh jeez, I'm jealous! Your plants look fabulous! I will try starting them in cells rather than a whole tray--do you think it's too late to start them or should I wait till next year? Can't get over how great your plants look, excellent job!

ps, do you freeze some for later use? That's what I want to do.
Old May 16, 2013   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Celery takes a looooong time to grow. I would definitely use containers as they will warm earlier in the Spring. I remember driving past the celery fields south of Oswego years ago, and I remember they had their plants in very early in the Season.

Raybo
Old May 16, 2013   #5
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

When I grew it here in Maryland I started my seed in cells in January. I then planted it in a part of the garden that gets morning to mid-day sun only. It does not like to go thirsty so I had it in a shallow trech which I flloded to water. I could see where a SWC would be ideal.

Even though it did well for me I haven't grown if for several years as it took a lot of attention when I planted in ground. For some reason though I have Utah on my seed list for next spring. May it is Raybo's lovely pictures

Kidding aside.... that some nice looking celery Raybo!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #6
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsi View Post
Oh jeez, I'm jealous! Your plants look fabulous! I will try starting them in cells rather than a whole tray--do you think it's too late to start them or should I wait till next year? Can't get over how great your plants look, excellent job!

ps, do you freeze some for later use? That's what I want to do.

I think t woudl dry better than freeze. That's what we did when we grew it and it was great for soups and caseroles.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #7
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I only use about four plants to flavour my various juices. I buy the seedlings and let them grow. They take no care. They can get quite large easily a foot or more in diameter. By not blanching they stay green and have a strong flavour. Often I just use shoots or stems and seldom the whole plant. The flavour is contained in the leaves.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QPBLS 1 May 2013 Celery plants moved to outdoor garden
The celery plants were moved to the outdoor garden. They have a good root system.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AYQMX 16 April 2013 Celery
Four celery plants were purchased and moved to individual pots and placed in the greenhouse. The purpose is to leave them for about two weeks before planting in the outdoor garden. This makes very strong plants with a good root system, and the plants get a good start. These plants get about a foot or more in diameter. I don’t blanche them by hilling, but use them in their normal green state.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #8
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

For reference, here are photos of Utah Tall in my Earthbox last year:

8 per Earthbox was just too crowded:

This Season I am dialing it down to 6 plants per Earthbox (had to buy 2 new Earthboxes!).

Raybo
Old May 16, 2013   #9
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

I am an advocate for cutting celery. It is a much more useful plant, and you can cut it over and over. They are very closely related, but doesn't need near as much water and care.
Masbustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #10
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

There are three kinds of celery. Foliar celery, petiole celery and radical celery. I start all these kinds in January. Favorite celery is radical in Czech. It gets to the each soup along with carrots and radical parsleys.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Celery.jpg (39.0 KB, 20 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013   #11
kath
Tomatovillian™

Sunsi, I start 6 celery plants in cells in early Feb. and then keep sowing every month through May. The nurseries around here have plants available around July 4th so I think you still have time. I'm germinating some now along with brussel sprouts.

Ventura is my favorite so far for consistently nice plants and when it comes to fresh eating because it's not strong and I don't blanch. I usually devour the inner stalks and dry the outer ones or use them in cooking.

The plants have done well both in the ground and in raised beds. They like rich moist soil and will attract slugs/snails so I sprinkle Sluggo around and keep an eye on them.

I've had good luck drying it and also freezing after sauteing for use in soups, stews, but I prefer drying because of limited freezer space. When rehydrated it cooks up just like fresh.

Good luck- I think you'll really appreciate your own homegrown celery.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013   #12
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Anybody familiar with Giant Red Celery? It's a European heirloom.
I started some plants in March.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to start mine early enough last year so I didn't get any. In my climate, I start seeds in July-August and plant in a semi-shady area when ready. It takes about 8 weeks or more for mine to be ready to transplant.
I mulch heavily and water frequently with a sprinkler. I think Yuma, AZ is one of the biggest celery producing areas in the country, at least for winter.
Mine do quite well but I don't blanch. We eat most of our celery in soups and sauces so the stronger,greener stems are better for this.
Next year, I plan to grow all three types. The cutting celery does very well, easy to grow and use as cut/come again. I've not tried celery root but want to next fall.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013   #14
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year growing celery, but surprisingly, it has turned out to be less difficult than I was expecting. I started mine in a soda bottle self watering container in February. I think 4 plants grew, though I planted a lot more seed. I moved the seedlings further apart(but in the same container) when they were 2-3 inches high. In April, after our last frost date, I planted them in the garden. They are in a shady, wetter part of the garden, it only gets morning sun. They are doing great. I planted more seed in March probably in a second bottle, as a project for my daughter, and tons sprouted. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to thin them a little by plucking some up(not too gently), and shoving them into the wet dirt(muddy) near the other celery. They too are doing fine. I use soaker hoses for watering, and had worked in manure to the soil in January or February. I think the key for sprouting is to keep the seeds from drying out. The first time, I planted heavily, and only got 4 plants. The second time, I planted heavily, but then covered the top with saran wrap until most sprouted. I think that made a huge difference. I have heard of people planting them out, then putting a board over them to keep them moist until they sprout.
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #15
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

rnewste
Quote:
Celery takes a looooong time to grow. I would definitely use containers as they will warm earlier in the Spring. I remember driving past the celery fields south of Oswego years ago, and I remember they had their plants in very early in the Season.

Wish I had started this thread a few months back. "celery fields south of Oswego", I think you mention a while back to me that you are familiar with this area--wonder if they still have those celery fields there. Are they grown in that rich black soil--would love to have some of that for my garden but settled for some garden-brew delivered from Ontario Orchards Nursery. I've got some self-watering EarthBoxes (about 6-8) not being used anymore since we put in the raised beds--I will put them back into service next year. I do hope my celery looks as lovely as yours when I do try growing it again. Thanks, for the pic's of your celery, Raybo, I can see what's possible.

RebelRidin
Quote:
When I grew it here in Maryland I started my seed in cells in January. I then planted it in a part of the garden that gets morning to mid-day sun only. It does not like to go thirsty so I had it in a shallow trech which I flloded to water. I could see where a SWC would be ideal.
A wealth of information, RebelRidin (I love your avvy pic ). I will definitely start mine in January, too. I want success growing some good celery--and yeah, Raybo's looks fantastic!

RebelRidin
Quote:
I think t woudl dry better than freeze. That's what we did when we grew it and it was great for soups and caseroles.
Hadn't considered that but you're right, thanks for that idea I really appreciate it.

Durgan
Quote:
I only use about four plants to flavour my various juices. I buy the seedlings and let them grow. They take no care. They can get quite large easily a foot or more in diameter. By not blanching they stay green and have a strong flavour. Often I just use shoots or stems and seldom the whole plant. The flavour is contained in the leaves.

If I would be so lucky as to find seedlings for this year, bah! I tried growing a certain kind that just had leaves but like the regular celery I just lost it all too. I won't give up and hope to have the same success you all have mentioned.

Durgan
Quote:
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QPBLS 1 May 2013 Celery plants moved to outdoor garden
The celery plants were moved to the outdoor garden. They have a good root system.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AYQMX 16 April 2013 Celery
Four celery plants were purchased and moved to individual pots and placed in the greenhouse. The purpose is to leave them for about two weeks before planting in the outdoor garden. This makes very strong plants with a good root system, and the plants get a good start. These plants get about a foot or more in diameter. I don’t blanche them by hilling, but use them in their normal green state.

Those are great looking plants, Durgan! Mine never, ever looked like that--in your pictures the root system is well developed and strong and the plants look very healthy. Thanks for sharing those pic's, Durgan.

rnewste
Quote:
For reference, here are photos of Utah Tall in my Earthbox last year:
8 per Earthbox was just too crowded:
This Season I am dialing it down to 6 plants per Earthbox (had to buy 2 new Earthboxes!).
Thanks, for sharing that--I will be using Earthboxes and it's helpful to know the spacing before I start. I'll be calling around to various nurseries to see if anyone sells seedlings like Durgan mentioned I've never seen them sold before but couldn't hurt to try.

Masbustelo
Quote:
I am an advocate for cutting celery. It is a much more useful plant, and you can cut it over and over. They are very closely related, but doesn't need near as much water and care.
I wonder if that's the leaf celery I mentioned above--I think it's just what I need for soup. It would be very handy to cut just what I need just like with parsley.

MrBig46
Quote:
There are three kinds of celery. Foliar celery, petiole celery and radical celery. I start all these kinds in January. Favorite celery is radical in Czech. It gets to the each soup along with carrots and radical parsleys.
Vladimír
Yes! My husband is from Poland and that's why I have learned to make good soup and use fresh ingredients so that it turns out so good! We make a meal out of a good soup with a nice bread to go along. We grow parsley so that he can cut it up fine to sprinkle on top, it's pure heaven!

kath
Quote:
Sunsi, I start 6 celery plants in cells in early Feb. and then keep sowing every month through May. The nurseries around here have plants available around July 4th so I think you still have time. I'm germinating some now along with brussel sprouts.

Ventura is my favorite so far for consistently nice plants and when it comes to fresh eating because it's not strong and I don't blanch. I usually devour the inner stalks and dry the outer ones or use them in cooking.

The plants have done well both in the ground and in raised beds. They like rich moist soil and will attract slugs/snails so I sprinkle Sluggo around and keep an eye on them.

I've had good luck drying it and also freezing after sauteing for use in soups, stews, but I prefer drying because of limited freezer space. When rehydrated it cooks up just like fresh.

Good luck- I think you'll really appreciate your own homegrown celery.
Wow, thank you Kath! I will try drying it because like you I am running out of freezer space. I'll look for Ventura because I don't want it too strong but still with a nice flavor. We have a bit of a slug problem but not so much in the raised beds--if I plant them in the Earth Boxes maybe we'll luck out.

RayR
Quote:
Anybody familiar with Giant Red Celery? It's a European heirloom.
I started some plants in March.

RayR, I never heard of it but please let us know what it tastes like after you harvest it. I would love to try a different color especially for fresh eating.

Tracydr
Quote:
I forgot to start mine early enough last year so I didn't get any. In my climate, I start seeds in July-August and plant in a semi-shady area when ready. It takes about 8 weeks or more for mine to be ready to transplant.
I mulch heavily and water frequently with a sprinkler. I think Yuma, AZ is one of the biggest celery producing areas in the country, at least for winter.
Mine do quite well but I don't blanch. We eat most of our celery in soups and sauces so the stronger,greener stems are better for this.
Next year, I plan to grow all three types. The cutting celery does very well, easy to grow and use as cut/come again. I've not tried celery root but want to next fall.

I've never used celery root either, Tracydr, but I agree I want to try it. The cutting celery would be great to have as I like the leaves for soup--I'm getting hungry just thinking about a homemade soup.

clkingtx
Quote:
This is my first year growing celery, but surprisingly, it has turned out to be less difficult than I was expecting. I started mine in a soda bottle self watering container in February. I think 4 plants grew, though I planted a lot more seed. I moved the seedlings further apart(but in the same container) when they were 2-3 inches high. In April, after our last frost date, I planted them in the garden. They are in a shady, wetter part of the garden, it only gets morning sun. They are doing great. I planted more seed in March probably in a second bottle, as a project for my daughter, and tons sprouted. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to thin them a little by plucking some up(not too gently), and shoving them into the wet dirt(muddy) near the other celery. They too are doing fine. I use soaker hoses for watering, and had worked in manure to the soil in January or February. I think the key for sprouting is to keep the seeds from drying out. The first time, I planted heavily, and only got 4 plants. The second time, I planted heavily, but then covered the top with saran wrap until most sprouted. I think that made a huge difference. I have heard of people planting them out, then putting a board over them to keep them moist until they sprout.

Well, I think you have identified the problem I was having, drying out so fast and I see that maybe I should have planted them a little thicker. Do you find that celery is a real heavy feeder--maybe I should put more manure in the soil?

I would like to again thank everyone for the growing tips and valuable growing information. I loved the pictures from Raybo and Durgan it makes me hopeful that I'll see such great celery in my garden. There has to be a satisfaction in growing your own celery and well worth the time waiting for it. Thank you!

Last edited by Sunsi; May 19, 2013 at 07:32 AM.