Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 24, 2012   #1
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Default When not to pull a plant?

I'm a little down, because I noticed my captain Lucky wasn't growing as tall as the other plants and then noticed the leaves starting to look deformed. I am not experienced enough to spot a virus or disease quickly nor do I even know what this could be, but I have noticed now that a couple of leaves on my LizBirt which is twice as tall and loaded with fruit next to Captain lucky show similar traits. I hear of people pulling plants and discarding them at first sign, but what about when some plants are loaded with baseball sized fruit like my Lizbirt or Cowlick which is next to it? Couldn't I just ride it out in hopes of my fruit ripening before damage is done? Don't some diseases/viruses take hold yet you can still salvage the fruits? I don't know what I should do....Most of my plants are already giving ripe fruit and are nearly seven feet tall. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1463 (Medium).JPG (92.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1460 (Medium).JPG (174.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1459 (Medium).JPG (138.6 KB, 47 views)
Old May 24, 2012   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I don't know what is wrong but I certainly wouldn't pull the plants with good sized fruit on them unless all the foliage died or it started spreading. Of course I have trouble just getting most of my plants to that stage of development with all the fusarium I have to deal with so I tend to leave any plant that has good fruit on it until it completely dies.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #3
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

It could be spreading, I don't really know. I'm with you , I've seen some dead looking plants that still produced a number of toms. Worms are going after my Rosalies early orange, other than that...I don't think I've really had a problem.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk