Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 19, 2014   #1
foodeefish
Tomatovillian™

Default Where to buy stronger trays???

Where can you purchase seed trays without holes that are priced reasonable yet last more than a year or two?
foodeefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #2
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I double them up. Yes that's twice the cost, but they last for years because they don't flex as much. The flexing causes the cracks that lead to their demise.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I was just going to say that, Tom. In the long run, I think doubling up will save you money. When the flat's get heavy and you only have one, they crack when you pick them up. Other than that, the trays that came with my grow light are heavier weight but since I plan to use those long term and always keep them with the grow light, I use the cheaper black plastic ones inside those. Keeps them much cleaner too. If you want those heavy duty trays, I suggest looking for them with companies that sell grow lights. They might have replacements.
Old February 20, 2014   #4
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Greentrees sells double and quad thick trays. I get a lot of use out of the quads. They can take a lot of weight.
http://www.hydroponics.net/i/138759

Check locally at a hydro shop as well.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I have used Perma-nest trays for many years, my older trays were much thicker and lasted forever if I did not abuse them by leaving them out in the sun during the summer. The quality is not what it used to be, the last batch of Perma-nest trays I bought are much thinner and more brittle, and I have already cracked a few edges. I don't plan to buy anymore at their present quality and will just double up on the black plastic kind where I combine a mesh tray with a solid one, or use a broken tray inside a new one.
Perma-nest is sold by various garden catalogs, including Park Seeds. This place sells in multiples of six. http://growerssolution.com/PROD/perma-nest-plant-trays/PermaNest

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #6
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

I swear by these - http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ats-hobby-pack

I did a price comparison with 3 other companies for 30 of these trays. Greenhouse Mega Store was the cheapest and order was processed with lightening speed! Seems I had just placed my order and UPS was knocking on my door with the product!

Using without doubling up, I have had them crack a little on the edges but they still lasted me 3 seasons and they are still usable. I now use them in con★★★★★★★★ with these - http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...-trays-inserts. It makes bottom watering easy and strengthens the setup.

I paid $42 plus $7.99 shipping for a total of 30 trays (3 10 packs) Works out to about $1.66 per seed tray.
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #7
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Harris Seeds, best trays ever.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #8
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Beeman, those are the same trays that I bought at Greenhouse Mega Store. The ones at Harris are $18.95 for a 5 count pack of 50 cell trays. The ones at GHMS were only $14 for a 5 count pack. Great trays but better price at GHMS.
Old February 20, 2014   #9
rws-NH-45
Tomatovillian™

Indoor Gardening Supplies -- Dexter, Michigan
rws-NH-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwindjammer View Post
I swear by these - http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ats-hobby-pack

I did a price comparison with 3 other companies for 30 of these trays. Greenhouse Mega Store was the cheapest and order was processed with lightening speed! Seems I had just placed my order and UPS was knocking on my door with the product!

Using without doubling up, I have had them crack a little on the edges but they still lasted me 3 seasons and they are still usable. I now use them in con★★★★★★★★ with these - http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...-trays-inserts. It makes bottom watering easy and strengthens the setup.

I paid $42 plus $7.99 shipping for a total of 30 trays (3 10 packs) Works out to about $1.66 per seed tray.
These are the ones I have the trays hold up very well the cells not so well but they are a one time use to the buyer of the plant so who cares.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #11
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Google acf greenhouses....they have great stuff.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #12
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I have used Perma-nest trays for many years, my older trays were much thicker and lasted forever if I did not abuse them by leaving them out in the sun during the summer. The quality is not what it used to be, the last batch of Perma-nest trays I bought are much thinner and more brittle, and I have already cracked a few edges. I don't plan to buy anymore at their present quality and will just double up on the black plastic kind where I combine a mesh tray with a solid one, or use a broken tray inside a new one.
Perma-nest is sold by various garden catalogs, including Park Seeds. This place sells in multiples of six. http://growerssolution.com/PROD/perma-nest-plant-trays/PermaNest
I've had these same trays for about 25 years. Back then, they were expensive at $6 each set (they came with the dome) and I bought 6 sets. Well, this year I had one tray leak after all these years, but...I fixed it with the hot glue gun. I swear by, not at, these trays! Even if they are half the quality they used to be, I will still by them if I ever need to.

Charlie

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peppers and eggplants.JPG (203.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg P and E.JPG (240.2 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Got Worms?; February 20, 2014 at 06:31 PM.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #13
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Are these trays any different to the ones that people get at the nursery when they buy a lot of plants? I was planning on raiding some blue boxes .

Linda
Labradors2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #14
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
I've had these same trays for about 25 years. Back then, they were expensive at $6 each set (they came with the dome) and I bought 6 sets. Well, this year I had one tray leak after all these years, but...I fixed it with the hot glue gun. I swear by, not at, these trays! Even if they are half the quality they used to be, I will still by them if I ever need to.
These are the ones I referred to from Harris. Solid, don't bend or twist even with heavy pots or full of soil blocks. Best I've ever seen up here in Ontario. Well worth the money.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #15
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Worth, my plug trays that I bought have lasted 3 years with very little wear and tear, including the cells.

Beeman, my mistake. I incorrectly assumed that that foodeefish was referring to plug trays, not just plain trays. Not sure why I thought that except that I was so excited to receive mine 2 days after I placed my order.