Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 13, 2009   #1
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default Are my Taters Dead?

I planted 12 large seed pieces (three varieties) about two weeks ago. The top of the peices were about 2" under the surface. I cut them about 3 days before planting, and they possibly had some mold on the cut side and were starting to shrivel, but not all because a few I planted whole. Any way, no signs of life yet, and it has been warm. Some Wee Beasty has tunneled through the area (probably chipmunk) but I can't see it getting every potato from underground.

Any way, should I plan on starting over, or do taters take their time?
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009   #2
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

I planted mine in Cincinnati in large containers about 3 weeks ago...? they took about a week to emerge, and 2 of them are huge now. Id gently brush some soil away and take a peek- I hope theyre OK!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009   #3
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Last night's rain washed off the dust and I can see most of them are now emerging. I didn't realize that blue potatoes had blue-black foliage. At first I thought that big tuft of stuff was and old peice of muddy weedblock fabric.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009   #4
tahmato
Tomatovillian™

usualy cut the spud and let it scab over which usually takes about 5-8 days. Mine are shrivled ,moldy and don't look worth a darn. They are growing so don't worry, you should see results soon.
tahmato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009   #5
Amigatec
Tomatovillian™

I have Tators coming up from last year, and I have tilled the garden many times since then.
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote