Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 9, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default C.Pubescens and Summer

Hi,

I have four different varieties of C.Pubescens growing for the first time. The little cold snaps here don't seem to worry the seedlings. They're coming on strong. Only a few weeks till they're transplanted.

To this end, everything I read mentions their cold tolerance and Andes heritage. My summers are fierce. especially the afternoons. From what I gather it would be best to plant them in a spot out of the afternoon sun, where they can grow into perennial bushes.

Does this sound right? Should I shelter them from the heat unlike peppers in general. And do you think they will fruit for me in the first year? If not I'll confine them to pots that I can relocate in winter.

Thanks.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2006   #2
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

Gidday Grub,
As you know NZ isn't reknown for excessive heat however even over here the pubescens does better on the side of the house that only gets morning sun. The ones on the other side struggle with the heat.
The morning ones are higher than the guttering on the house so unless you have some rather big pots I would think about a permanent position.
You will get fruit the 1st Autumn I should think.
I have 1200 just waiting to be planted out but the weather here is still too cold yet.
BTW had my 1st cataract done 4 weeks ago. Waiting for #2 now.
Watch out for the drought!
Glenn
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2006   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Glenn.

You have helped me greatly as I'm about to plant them out. So god bless and thanks. I'll pick a couple of spots in the ground.

Never tasted a C. Pube. so I hope they are good.

Best wishes, Grub.
Old October 30, 2006   #4
darlochileman
Tomatovillian™

Hi Grub,

Ive been growing out quite a few pubescens this year and in my experience they are dapple shade loving plants - they hate direct sun.

You can find a bit more info here (about half way down the page - The magical Manzano and the Pubescens species)

http://thechileman.blogspot.com/

Pubescens are well worth growing just for the stunning flowers in my view. The fruits are also blinding which is an added bonus
Old October 30, 2006   #5
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for the advice.

Would you believe I had my best C.Pubescens in just such a spot but shuffled some stuff on the weekend and now they are in full sun!

So a reshuffle it will be. A win-win