Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 5, 2022   #16
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp View Post
I have been eating all the bomb tomatoes all winter here in CT, after my husband brought some home to try. I usually give up eating tomatoes in the winter and just wait for my home grown. So the fact that I've been eating them says something. We've been getting Flavor Bombs, Sugar Bombs and Honey Bombs from our local Stop & Shop and Whole Foods in small packages for $5.99 (which makes me laugh when I think of how many tomatoes I give away each year). Flavor and Sugar being the most often available in stores, and Honey Bombs less so. They are the best supermarket tomatoes I've had. After googling and finding no information, other than that same link to sunset, I assumed they must be hybrid. I even checked tomatoville earlier this year, but no threads at that time. Now you got me wondering if I should try to grow some. It's not too late for me to start seeds for this year. It's encouraging that Kurt's plants grew true.

@kurt what was your DTM?

Jen
Danbury? I'm in Brookfield and go to the Danbury Whole Foods for them and Sumo mandarins all the time! Funny, I've only seen the Honey Bombs the last few trips. I don't recall seeing Flavor but I've picked up a few Sugar Bombs in the past. They're pretty good but I don't think I'm letting them ripen enough so I'm not too crazy about them. A lot of people seem to like the Flavor Bombs the best but I haven't had them yet. I like the Honey Bombs probably slightly underripe so there's a little bit of a zing to them but you still get the sweetness. Plus they're crunchier which I enjoy for a cherry tomato.
ac21686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2022   #17
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac21686 View Post
Danbury? I'm in Brookfield and go to the Danbury Whole Foods for them and Sumo mandarins all the time! Funny, I've only seen the Honey Bombs the last few trips. I don't recall seeing Flavor but I've picked up a few Sugar Bombs in the past. They're pretty good but I don't think I'm letting them ripen enough so I'm not too crazy about them. A lot of people seem to like the Flavor Bombs the best but I haven't had them yet. I like the Honey Bombs probably slightly underripe so there's a little bit of a zing to them but you still get the sweetness. Plus they're crunchier which I enjoy for a cherry tomato.
Hi neighbor! So you're the one scooping up all the bomb tomatoes.

Yes, I've gotten them in all stages of ripening. Since they ripen from the top down, I eat the top ones first and work my way down the bunch. I'm pretty sure, my husband just grabs whatever one his hand hits first, which is fine by me because I want the top ones. Big difference in ripe and unripe sugar bombs. I like all three and favor the Sugar Bombs because I like a grape shape better, it's a texture thing. I think Flavor Bombs have more "tomato" flavor, especially the less ripe ones. I haven't had the Honey Bombs many times due to availability. I do like crunchy, so I'll keep trying to get them. I can pretty much count on finding Flavor and/or Sugar Bombs at Stop & Shop. Whole Foods has been less reliable. I asked the woman stocking tomatoes last time I was there and she said they were out and she had put some out that morning. Oh well.

I did sprout some seeds from Flavor Bombs and Sugar Bombs. We'll see how they do. I only plan to grow one plant of each in my garden.
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2022   #18
persianninja
Tomatovillian™

So are these growing true for people? I ordered some HoneyBombs the other day via an online grocer and liked them so wondering if they will grow true or not
persianninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2022   #19
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianninja View Post
So are these growing true for people? I ordered some HoneyBombs the other day via an online grocer and liked them so wondering if they will grow true or not
I guess at this point it's not known. Kurt said that the taste was similar for Sugar Bombs. Looking at the photos, they don't look the same shape and they don't grow in trusses, like the real thing.

I'm growing out a couple of seeds to see what I get. I assumed from the beginning they would be hybrid, but since we don't know for sure, thought I would give it a shot for one season.

Jen
Old February 16, 2023   #20
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Hello! So last summer I grew one plant each from seeds saved from Sugar Bomb and Flavor Bomb. I didn't have any luck at the time getting Honey Bomb at the store. I've since saved seeds and will try Honey Bomb this year.

So I like the Flavor Bombs I grew. Very good flavor, huge plant, and prolific. Grew out looking like the original. I did not do a side by side taste test because it seemed crazy to buy tomatoes when I have more than I can eat from my own garden. First ripe fruit was 55 days from plant out. I will grow them again this year from seeds saved from my plant. That says a lot that it has been invited back. I trial many tomatoes and only grow again ones I really like.

Flavor Bomb on the vine.

This is Flavor Bomb in with Honey Drop.

Flavor Bomb and Sugar Bomb plants July 14, 58 days after plant out. Sugar Bomb left and Flavor Bomb Right.

Flavor Bomb and Sugar Bomb fruit (with honey drop on the bowl too).

Sugar Bomb did not grow out anywhere close to the original. The shape was wrong, they were much longer with an extra wave to them, like miniature paste tomatoes. Most importantly they were very bland. If I let them sit on the counter for a week or more, then they developed some sweetness. First ripe was 57 days from plant out. Huge plant, prolific. They are not invited back.

Sugar Bomb on the vine.

Last edited by jhp; February 16, 2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old February 17, 2023   #21
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

For any Canadians out there, a friend put me on to Certo tomatoes from Metro. She loved them so much that she saved seeds and grew them. She said they came true. Last season, she gave me a seedling and I'd say it certainly did grow true. It was compact and the tomatoes grew in beautiful long trusses. It was prolific with good taste, but I gave all the tomatoes away because I didn't think they tasted as wonderful as the other cherry varieties that I grew.

When our store ran out of Certo tomatoes last spring, they stocked Flavour Bombs. I'd say that they tasted similar to Certo.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2023   #22
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

To figure out if something "grows true" you need to grow out a population and look carefully at the group. Even then, you don't know for sure, because there could be differences in disease resistance, even if the two parents used looked very similar.
Old February 17, 2023   #23
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Oh my goodness.... not sure how long I have been on T-ville but how in the world did I miss JHP who lives in my town? Wow! Small world!

We just started with Flavor Bombs this year, my husband bought to try (at Stop & Shop) since most store bought tomatoes just taste like nothing. Last year I took to growing minis in an Aerogarden. I didn't bother this year since I have a new kitten who loves to play with balls. so we were stuck with grocery store tomatoes.

Thrilled to see they ran true. We normally do Sun Sugar but might try one of these in our garden this year to see what happens!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2023   #24
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutOrchids View Post
Oh my goodness.... not sure how long I have been on T-ville but how in the world did I miss JHP who lives in my town? Wow! Small world!

We just started with Flavor Bombs this year, my husband bought to try (at Stop & Shop) since most store bought tomatoes just taste like nothing. Last year I took to growing minis in an Aerogarden. I didn't bother this year since I have a new kitten who loves to play with balls. so we were stuck with grocery store tomatoes.

Thrilled to see they ran true. We normally do Sun Sugar but might try one of these in our garden this year to see what happens!
I don't post very often anymore so would be easy to not know about me. I didn't say they "ran true". They look the same and taste very good. That's from the ONE plant I grew. I gave some away, but never get feedback on them. That's all I'm willing to commit to on that. I'll grow it again this year and see what how it is.

Jen
Old February 17, 2023   #25
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

I'm also in CT, far eastern part of the state, on the coast, zone 7a. I bought a box of Sugar Bomb tomatoes a couple of months ago--first time I'd seen them at the grocery where I usually shop. I did save some seed, and I might try a plant, but it's not a priority as the source was an F1 fruit. Interesting to read that the Flavour Bomb plant gave fruit similar to the F1 source.
I've also saved seed from Kumato; not sure if this is a hybrid or not, but it's definitely better than most supermarket tomatoes.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2023   #26
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp View Post
I didn't say they "ran true". They look the same and taste very good. That's from the ONE plant I grew.

Jen
That's good enough for me! I am willing to try to grow a few and will be sure to give feedback on my results!
Old February 17, 2023   #27
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2021 View Post
I'm also in CT, far eastern part of the state, on the coast, zone 7a. I bought a box of Sugar Bomb tomatoes a couple of months ago--first time I'd seen them at the grocery where I usually shop. I did save some seed, and I might try a plant, but it's not a priority as the source was an F1 fruit. Interesting to read that the Flavour Bomb plant gave fruit similar to the F1 source.
I've also saved seed from Kumato; not sure if this is a hybrid or not, but it's definitely better than most supermarket tomatoes.
Hello! Just wanted to say, there are other Kumato lovers on tville. You might want to post on the wanted board for an OP Kumato. They're out there.

Jen
Old February 17, 2023   #28
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutOrchids View Post
That's good enough for me! I am willing to try to grow a few and will be sure to give feedback on my results!
Ok cool. If you post in this thread, I'll be sure to see it.
Old February 17, 2023   #29
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Sugar bomb etc.

Some results of the Sugar Bomb/series.We have not seen the Flavor or Honey bomb since a year now in our stores.Attached are some images from March 21 2022.These are the sugar bombs cut,on trellis are only the honey,sugar only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7127DD23-86B6-4B6A-8888-93DE20BDD710.jpg (201.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 167AF15D-66E4-41F2-A9C8-C2C80AF4C0A1.jpg (201.2 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by kurt; February 17, 2023 at 04:11 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2023   #30
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Flavor Bomb WILL be invited back to our garden! We always grow 2 Sunsugar, Flavor Bomb will replace one of them next year. I saved seed from store bought and it appears to have grown true to size, color and taste.

At first I almost pulled the plant. When smaller, a truss would develop, flowers would appear but break off from the stem and I'd be left with a truss full of broken off stems. This continued until a truss appeared about about 3 feet up.

Once that first successful truss appeared, oh my! It is a VERY healthy, large plant growing more upright than my Sunsugars which tend to become monster and sprawl everywhere. It is loaded with fruit; not as sweet and sugary as Sunsugar, more of a 'real' tomato flavor.

Am I best off to use my saved seed from the store bought or to save seed from this plant?