Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 30, 2020   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default Sea island red peas?

I’ve got a bunch of these little gems in the freezer that I bought from Anson mills, they are so good.
If all works out I’ll share some seeds in the fall. Does anyone know they’re growth habit? I’d like to plant some out this weekend but need to know if they are big pole type or sprawling bush.
Also, does the colossus pea climb? I’d like to stick some of them in the ground.
I could one or two bush Lima varieties right now, any suggestions? I have lots of climbing but don’t seem to have any bush Lima’s.
I used to think I was a seed hoarder but sure am thankful for my crazy collection this year! What a crazy year to get any seeds if you need them.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020   #2
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I can't help you with the red peas but I am also growing Colossus this year. It's a first time for me but I've been growing field peas a good while now and am willing to bet it's like Big Red Ripper and Big Boy. Those are pretty rambunctious peas that you can let sprawl or trellis. Southern Exposure lists Colossus as "One of the largest and best crowder peas..."

I've always done the Rippers in the corn rows after the stalks are pulled but last year I trellised one row just for grins and giggles. It seems like there were more peas on the trellised ones but maybe that was my imagination since I didn't weigh anything. There were three rows on the ground and one trellised.

The Colossus will be going in a raised bed once the currant occupants (broccoli, cabbage) are booted out, one row down each side. I'll be putting some tall stakes down each side with some baling twine stretched between to help keep the Colossus in bounds.

Can't help with the bush limas as I've tried a bunch and although I get pods, there's never anything in them. I found lima success with a climber, Alabama Blackeye Butter Bean.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020   #3
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I’ve grown the red ripper and almost forgot that I have a large pile of seeds save from probably 2014 that I should use up, I’ll add them to the plan.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote