Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 9, 2018   #16
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
I looked at the site. It doesn't appear that they [I]sell[I] seeds. They still list Craig as an adviser.

I'm not entirely clear on its purpose. Maybe it's just one of those high-brow foundation things that well off, well meaning people want "to be involved with"...?
They asked me to write some articles for them. I said no. They can do the work themselves.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2018   #17
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Especially considering who they hired to run it.
The website is not the issue, that has remained vague in its purpose, colourful and unobjectionable.
The social media presence on the other hand has been much more of a marketing tool for seeds, even greeting cards.
I am reserving my opinion pending further observation.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2018   #18
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

As far as I can tell the WTS is mostly just the self promotion of its members. Buy seeds here - eat here - blah blah blah!
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2018   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
As far as I can tell the WTS is mostly just the self promotion of its members. Buy seeds here - eat here - blah blah blah!
Does have that west coast ring to it doesn't it.

I dont see Tomato Growers Supply on the list but I see Howdy Doody.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2018   #20
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Definitely reassessing things. Tricky situation - one either gets involved when asked to be able to keep an eye on things, or defers and has no way to express things. But....things have gotten weird, so...stay tuned.
Old December 10, 2018   #21
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
Facebook page is different.
Old December 10, 2018   #22
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I can't guess the motivations behind the efforts. My only experience is the Facebook postings. The photos are gorgeous, and the descriptions of tomatoes I know are spot on accurate. I don't have any problem with a page that tempts me to try a new tomato variety, and provides a link to where I can get the seeds. Maybe I'm just too unsuspicious.
Old December 10, 2018   #23
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I checked out the web site Carolyn provided a link too back in January again. It does seem to have been fleshed out a little more with more meat on what was a pretty bare boned web page. Near the bottom of the page, it has a tomato identifier function which allows you to identify tomatoes by color, shape, size, and type. I identified orange, large, round; and indeterminate. It identified quite a few cultivars which fit the description. I was curious if it would identify KBX. It didn't, but it did identify Kellogg's Breakfast and Orange Minsk and a few others. I didn't follow anything to see if it led me to favored plant or seed vendors. If they continue adding to the site,, it could become a useful data base for information regarding tomatoes much like Tatiana's Tomato Base has been a useful tool for me over the years.

I was wrong. It did identify KBX as the last entry on the second page of photos.

If they would add cultivar histories, preferred growing zones, disease resistance, and tomato based recipes; it would be a great web page/data base.

Last edited by DonDuck; December 10, 2018 at 10:25 AM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2018   #24
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I took a quick look at the site. It just seems to be a platform to suck people in and market to them. They rank their influencers as highly as their experts. The fact that they even see a need for. "influencers" bothers me. While they seem to have begun adding content it's nicely formatted but not unique to the site. Much of it seems to be what you'd get if you edited some Tomatoville threads into articles. I'm not saying the WTS doesn't have some admirable objectives. I'm just observing that making money seems to be one of their goals. I think if you want to talk tomatoes or learn more about gardening there are better options.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2018   #25
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
I checked out the web site Carolyn provided a link too back in January again. It does seem to have been fleshed out a little more with more meat on what was a pretty bare boned web page. Near the bottom of the page, it has a tomato identifier function which allows you to identify tomatoes by color, shape, size, and type. I identified orange, large, round; and indeterminate. It identified quite a few cultivars which fit the description. I was curious if it would identify KBX. It didn't, but it did identify Kellogg's Breakfast and Orange Minsk and a few others. I didn't follow anything to see if it led me to favored plant or seed vendors. If they continue adding to the site,, it could become a useful data base for information regarding tomatoes much like Tatiana's Tomato Base has been a useful tool for me over the years.

I was wrong. It did identify KBX as the last entry on the second page of photos.

If they would add cultivar histories, preferred growing zones, disease resistance, and tomato based recipes; it would be a great web page/data base..

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I took a quick look at the site. It just seems to be a platform to suck people in and market to them. They rank their influencers as highly as their experts. The fact that they even see a need for. "influencers" bothers me. While they seem to have begun adding content it's nicely formatted but not unique to the site. Much of it seems to be what you'd get if you edited some Tomatoville threads into articles. I'm not saying the WTS doesn't have some admirable objectives. I'm just observing that making money seems to be one of their goals. I think if you want to talk tomatoes or learn more about gardening there are better options.
I agree with you both, but here again mostly we are having trouble more with the Facebook page, not really the website.
Old December 10, 2018   #26
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I took a look at their website and Facebook page and found nothing to be objectionable. They do try to sell some seeds but it's a pretty soft sell. (My wife and I just sat through a local time share presentation to get some cash and vacation points - now that was a hard sell!)

The photos are very professional and the artwork is great. It is very 2018ish with the comments to the comments very affirming and non-judgmental.

I would miss the back and forth sometimes squabbling that passionate tomato-lovers get into here on T-ville. ie: To prune or not to prune?

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2018   #27
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I agree with you both, but here again mostly we are having trouble more with the Facebook page, not really the website.

I have no problem with their facebook postings. I steer clear of facebook. Many years ago, I signed up in the morning and dropped my account the same day. I didn't understand why all those folks I didn't know wanted me to "friend" them. I still have no idea what is on facebook.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2018   #28
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

People way over think the most simple things in life. It is a tomato FB page. Enjoy!
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2018   #29
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
People way over think the most simple things in life. It is a tomato FB page. Enjoy!
LIKE!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2018   #30
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Forewarned is fair warned. Thank you all. I too will reserve judgement.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote