Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old August 5, 2017   #16
imp
Tomatovillian™

What about petunias or pansies? Do you think those would sell for you and be profitable?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #17
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Honestly, I really don't know, Imp. I am a total novice in the flower biz. I see a lot of flowers sold in 6-packs in the spring at market for $1.50. For tomatoes, I try to avoid selling 6-packs for that reason, because I can get $2 for a slightly larger plant in a 4" pot. I need to scope out the flower market in the spring so I can try to have something different than the other vendors at market.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

Cole, I can tell you there's a distinct market difference between annuals and perennials.
I think the two sides of annuals market are the sixpacks for transplanting and the large pots where they'll be left all season and then chucked.
Perennials you can really grow up and pot up into larger sizes for a bigger dollar.
Anything propagated by roots for the most part is easy to multiply and commands a good price.
If you have a big one that you didn't sell one season, you can always divide it to make more for next year. Peonies, Lilies, Daylilies, Irises for example.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #19
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I have seeds from these if you want some?

Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #20
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Do you need to sell potted flowers? If you want to sell cut flowers in the spring, now is the time to get ready to plant so you can harvest in the spring. There's even a book called "Cool Flowers" by Lisa Mason Zeigler that can you walk you through planting in the fall for cut flowers in the spring.
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #21
imp
Tomatovillian™

The reason I thought of petunias was that they like hotweather as well as a bit cooler and are easy to grow, look real pretty in a pot.

And pansies, at least down here, are a winter/early spring color plant and also easy to grow, etc..

Just wanted to suggest them.
Old August 7, 2017   #22
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
I have seeds from these if you want some?

Those are pretty spike!
Old August 7, 2017   #23
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

There are other vendors selling cut flowers, plus I am not talented at all at making arrangements.

Those are pretty, Spike. Are they compact growing, or do they get tall?

Bower, that is a good idea. Some of my mums are patented, though, so I'm supposed to pay a license fee for every cutting I root, no joke. But not all of them are patented; I'll have to check again to see which ones are.
Old August 7, 2017   #24
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post

Those are pretty, Spike. Are they compact growing, or do they get tall?
The ones I have growing right now maxed out between 6 to 8 inches tall. PM me an address and I will mail you some seeds.
Old August 7, 2017   #25
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Spike, those look like they are jumping off the screen. great picture. pretty 'golds too.
Old August 7, 2017   #26
imp
Tomatovillian™

Spike, can I steal your picture? I want to use it as a screen saver.
Old August 8, 2017   #27
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Spike, can I steal your picture? I want to use it as a screen saver.
Steal away!
Old August 8, 2017   #28
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Cole, what if you provided something different in the spring like potted ranunculus or anemones? People LOVE those flowers and it might be something interesting to try. There's a little more investment on the front end with the corms, and ranunculus are a little fussy in the cold, but I think it would be interesting to try and see the response you get at market.
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #29
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by adewilliams View Post
Cole, what if you provided something different in the spring like potted ranunculus or anemones? People LOVE those flowers and it might be something interesting to try. There's a little more investment on the front end with the corms, and ranunculus are a little fussy in the cold, but I think it would be interesting to try and see the response you get at market.
yes and yes... different. petunias and pansies I grow/sell... petunias in cell packs and hanging baskets and they might do well for you, but pansies just don't move very well for me, maybe they would for you if you have a market that early in the year, I don't- just a roadside stand with not much else available then. and they sell cheap... way too cheap to fuss over them for the return on your investment.
Old August 8, 2017   #30
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by adewilliams View Post
I looked up pics, and they are indeed pretty. Are they usually grown from plugs and not seed? It's a challenge to learn the difference between the stuff I should buy in plug form, versus flowers that grow easily from seed.