Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2023   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Red Rocket

I am still learning about determinate varieties, and still looking for nice red, round, and blemish free and crack resistance tomato. I saw "Red Rocket" in an online catalogue and in the picture the tomatoes look fairly small, but the description says they are in the 8-10 ounce range.

Paraphrased, it goes on to say: "This compact, bushy plant loads up with bright red tomatoes that ripen early in the season. Fruit is in the 8 to 10 oz. range and smooth with absolutely no blemishes. Determinate. 60 days to maturity." (I assume it is also crack resistant.)

I'm south of Memphis and am curious to see who in a hot, muggy climate has tried Red Rocket and how did they like them. Obviously I'm interested in taste, but also productivity and one that fits the round red, blemish and crack free characteristics, that has good eye appeal at a farmer's market. I'm interested to try some myself, and also am considering a few as market tomatoes.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Don
Old February 19, 2023   #2
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

I'm not in your climate, and have never grown Red Rocket - but I have grown 'Harrow' from South Georgia Seed Co. (Georgia is similar to your climate). You might also look at determinate hybrids such as Bella Rosa.
Old February 19, 2023   #3
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the reply.

Bella Rosa is at the top of my list. I also have one called Red Snapper that is supposed to be very good for this climate. Hoss Tools from Georgia has a video that shows it and it was their favorite tomato from their test garden. I may add Florida 47. I'll probably do some bush tomatoes like Better Bush and maybe Bush Goliath. I would also like to find a good dark tomato like Cherokee Purple in a bush or determinate variety.
Old February 21, 2023   #4
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

I was sent free seeds last year for a smaller, round, red tomato called Early Doll. Was a great performing tomato, averaged 4-5 ounce almost perfectly round tomatoes with pretty decent taste. I don't remember having any problems with cracking or splitting with them either. Each plant was very prolific, averaging about 10 pounds or so of tomatoes per plant. The only place I know of for sure you can get them would be at https://seedsnsuch.com/ Hope this helps