Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 2, 2015   #1
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Default Blue Beauty

3 unripe fruit at bottom of plant; about 6-8 oz

kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Those are beautiful.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I agree with Marsha.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #4
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

These were real beauty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9106-1.jpg (183.1 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg b-1.jpg (228.0 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by Allisa; November 2, 2015 at 05:59 PM.
Allisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2016   #5
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

Wow those are gorgeous. I grew indigo blue beauty last year and it was a truly beautiful plant/tomato, but mine were insipid. I have since read a few others reporting similar experiences and some say that you must leave them on the vine for extra long for them to get the full flavor. I am debating on whether to grow it out this year.
NoahYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2016   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Kygreg, how was the taste?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2016   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

some say that you must leave them on the vine for extra long for them to get the full flavor.

That must be why I didn't like it that much. My undersides were pink and not red like the picture. I probably picked it too soon.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2016   #8
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
some say that you must leave them on the vine for extra long for them to get the full flavor.

That must be why I didn't like it that much. My undersides were pink and not red like the picture. I probably picked it too soon.
That has been my experience as well, need to let them get dead ripe. Even the Blue Boar Berries would take on an almost brick red color before they really started to taste good. Too soon and it was a whole different taste experience, less favorable for the variety. I think that has contributed to some of the less than positive reviews regarding taste on some of the blues. They do take somewhat longer to ripen in my opinion.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2016   #9
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

I agree on the ripeness. If you need to practice building patience in general, Blue Beauty will do it. The good news is that they were (for me) absolutely indestructible against sun scald and weather in general, so they keep on the vine for a long time. Moreover, you can leave them on the counter for days to get to that peak ripeness.
It is misleading, though, that they look so nice and "blue" early on, and like HGC said, they really need that brick red color to over take the blue/purple.
Bottom line, I was really surprised how much I liked them after I found some hidden low down on one plant that had gotten to brick red shade on the vine. This was after tasting some earlier in the season while not reddish yet, and the taste was not that great. So I was reluctant to even try the riper ones.
Glad I did, b/c I would not have grown it again. And I knew going in that they needed time, just didn't realize I needed to wait for some red.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #10
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

I think I will give it another try... its a great ornamental if anything... those indigo hues on the plants themselves are stunning. And I also noted extreme vigor and resistance.
Old March 12, 2022   #11
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

Firstly I apologize for reviving an old thread, but I just wanted to let it be known that after sampling a fully ripened blue beauty, I can confirm its luscious flavor and texture when allowed to fully ripen on the vine :-)
Old March 12, 2022   #12
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hello Kentucky {NoahYates}

I really missed out on sharing my 2 cents on the Blue Tomatoes. Did Dr. Carolyn like the Blue Tomatoes.

Yes, the Blue Tomatoes has proven to be good, open-pollinated, and hybrid varieties that you can save the seed with great success that are not Patenting by anyone. I have Indigo Rose and Blue Fog. https://www.angelfieldfarms.com/stor...ato_Seeds.html I have not tried Blue Beauty yet.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2022   #13
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Hello Kentucky {NoahYates}

I really missed out on sharing my 2 cents on the Blue Tomatoes. Did Dr. Carolyn like the Blue Tomatoes.

Yes, the Blue Tomatoes has proven to be good, open-pollinated, and hybrid varieties that you can save the seed with great success that are not Patenting by anyone. I have Indigo Rose and Blue Fog. https://www.angelfieldfarms.com/stor...ato_Seeds.html I have not tried Blue Beauty yet.
Glad you like "blue tomato" varieties, you have some cool seed varieties coming your way via an angel.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2022   #14
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
Glad you like "blue tomato" varieties, you have some cool seed varieties coming your way via an angel.
Blue Tomatoes Displays well on the 4 Th Of July on every dish and display. Even as 4 TH of July Gift Baskets.

I can not wait!!!!!!!!!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote