Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old April 21, 2010   #1
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

Default Applegreen?

I am so very disappointed...I ordered seeds of Applegreen Eggplant from SSE, and not one has germinated since 3/22. The same thing with the Habanero Mustard Pepper Seeds, zip, zilch, nada. One of my favorite summer vegetable is eggplant, and I wanted to try this new to me variety. Has anyone had the same luck with them as I have?

Alberta
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2010   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am regrowing it from seed I saved years ago....I will save some...remind me later in the year and I can send you some fresh seed.
Old April 21, 2010   #3
amberroses
Tomatovillian™

All of the eggplants I had were slow to germinate. Here in Florida it took temps in the low 80s and a 24 hour rainy period to do the job. I have tons of little seedlings now. Maybe get a heat mat?
amberroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2010   #4
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I got a Johnny's catalog the other day, which recommends that you maintain 80-90F soil temp. until emergence, then 70F thereafter.

Are you using a heat mat? Covering lightly with plastic to keep moist? Or using winter sowing with minigreenhouses? I'm growing my tomatoes in a cold frame, and it took a couple weeks for the first one to sprout. They're doing well in closed clear plastic bins, though, where they stay warmer.

Last edited by habitat_gardener; April 22, 2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: more info
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2010   #5
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

Craig, thank you for the response, yes I will get in touch with you in the fall.

Yes, they were started on heat mats, my zebra's and other eggplants germinated, just not the applegreen's.... ;( really disappointed because I wanted to try them this year as they were new to me.

Alberta
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote