Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old March 29, 2010   #1
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Announcement - 2010 South East Texas Tomato Festival (SETTFest)

It’s time to announce the fourth annual South East Texas Tomato Festival (SETTFest) 2010.

What is it?
A gathering of tomato growers and enthusiasts who want to share and taste different varieties of homegrown tomatoes.

When is it?
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Setup is at 11am
Tasting begins at 12:30

Where is it?
Washington on the Brazos park @ Pavillion #2 (large pavillion)
20 minutes from Brenham, TX

Who will be there?
Tomato growers and their families and friends from Texas and surrounding areas. Everyone with an interest in tasting tomatoes is encouraged and welcome to attend.

If you are planning to attend the tasting, it would be helpful if you could drop us a line / Contact Us at the website for planning purposes, including listing any food items, drinks, or supplies you plan to bring.

You can view photos of last year's event in our 2009 Photo Album. For photos of previous year events - 2008, 2007

We hope to see plenty of fellow tomato lovers at the 2010 South East Texas Tomato Festival!
Old March 30, 2010   #2
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Cool, we finally have a date nailed down. We are booked in Port Aransas on the 26th so I was sitting on pins and needles afraid you were going to move it to that weekend. I'll lock in the 19th for SETTFest. I put my plants in the garden last weekend. I have:
Cherokee Yellow
Cherokee Purple
Black Cherry
Berkley Tie Dye
Juliet
Large Red Cherry
Old German
Red Brandywine
Mortgage Lifter
Black Krim
& some Tomatillo's

I hope to have some of each ready for SETTFest time. That's 85 days from now time of transplant.
Old March 30, 2010   #3
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

I, too, shall be there. I will drag Roy and Shelley with me.

Not sure what will still be around. I was in the ground on March 5th, but my plants were a bit smallish. I have some very young second-wave seedlings that are out, they might be producing by then.
Old April 2, 2010   #4
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default SETTFEST

I plan on making my first appearance and hope to have some of my 40 varieties to bring along. Looking forward to meeting you all.

MikeInCypress
Old April 13, 2010   #5
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

My sister and I are planning on going, and my mom and Grandpa might come by as well, then hit the history museum.

I hope I have tomatoes to bring- last summer was death to my crop. I have reworked the soil and put in soaker hoses so hopefully this year will be better. We are "small" growers on the scale of Tomatovillians- we both have about 15-20 plants in our back yards. If we don't have many tomatoes we can bring some snacks or aqua fresca.
Old April 13, 2010   #6
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could be there, but I plan to attend my father's 79th birthday bash(or memorial bash as the case maybe - he's on borrowed time with stage 4 cancer) at the Blue Jays/Giants baseball game in Toronto the night before. There is little luck I could get there the next day in time for the festivities. I had so wanted to be there this year. Had even talked my sweetie into attending with me. He's not as enamoured with growing tomatoes as I am. Oh well. Perhaps next year.....I maybe be even living in Texas by then!

Hope you all have a great time.

Zana
Old April 14, 2010   #7
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Blackest Krim, that's about the number of plants I have so if you and your sister have that many that should be plenty to have enough to bring. Hope to see you both there.

Zana, sorry to hear about your Dad. Best wishes to you and your family. By all means try to make it next year, especially if you are living in Texas. Next year will be a milestone. Our 5th annual.
Old April 14, 2010   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Sorry I've been rather absent from these forums. I don't have much of a garden this year. Traveling, etc. Never thought I'd have a year without tomatoes, but here I am. I will be at SETTFest even if I have to fly in from Bangladesh.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old April 14, 2010   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Suze-Good chance that Rosalina and I will be there-dont know if I will be able to bring tomatoes from El Paso, or if I will even have any, but am looking forward to attending. Will send email.
Old May 2, 2010   #10
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

The new, updated event posters are up on the SETTFest page http://www.settfest.com/event/. At the bottom of the page there are PDF's. If you can, print a few out in color and ask your local garden center to put them up. About 3 to 4 weeks before the event would be good. Thanks and we hope to see you all there.
Old May 6, 2010   #11
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

I just sent an email to the contact number verifying intent to attend. We will be driving from California to deliver our dining room set to our daughter in Dallas with a little detour south for my tomato obsession.

I will try to pick a few tomatoes just as they start to turn color and hope they make it for the trip. The timing may not work out since my early crop will be almost done by then and my main crop is delayed during our "June gloom".
Old May 6, 2010   #12
tuttamatta
Tomatovillian™

A special request to all of you:
my friend want to visit her son in Cedar Creek Lake and want me to go with her.
We are both avid gardeners and tomatoes are on top of our list, I was thinking that it would be nice to attend this, my question to all you Texans: is this doable at all?
Does anybody know how long it would take from Cedar Creek Lake to Washington on the Brazos?
By the way, we are from Portland Oregon.
Thank you for any info.
Paola
Old May 7, 2010   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Very doable 45 south 90 south 105 then to 1155 east and you are there. About 100 150 or so miles maybe all together not far at all. Just Follow west Washington ave through Navasota it turns into 105
Wont be there gotta work.

Map quest my tell you different but that is the way I would go. It isn't far from my house at all. BUT I am south of the place.
You see I dont know exactly where you will be at, at ceder creek lake its pretty big.

Worth
Old May 8, 2010   #14
tuttamatta
Tomatovillian™

As far as I know, the town is Tool, maybe it's wrong, but I know it is near a town named Gun Barrel, does this mean anything to you guys?
Old May 8, 2010   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here you go

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/8-6qKE

Worth