Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old April 13, 2013   #1
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Default Mojo's tomato Houston tasting in my backyard...?

Okay, let's pretend for a second that I'm 100% serious about having a Houston-area gathering in my backyard if no one steps up to reserve a park space somewhere for a full SETTFest. (I'm 75% serious at the moment.)

In theory, would 18 May or 1 June be better? Convenience should be balanced against harvest timing, I think.
Old April 13, 2013   #2
OtterJon
Tomatovillian™

Mojo,
Not in your area, but why not?...If no one else is.. A backyard gathering would be so fun! I say do it!

Jon
Old April 13, 2013   #3
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Mojo,
I think you would have more varieties on June 1. I wasn't able to get all mine planted in Mid Feb and then we had weather issues the first part of March so none of my large fruited toms will be ready by May 18. Just my 2cents.

MikeInCypress
Old April 14, 2013   #4
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

I work Sundays, so I'll have to jet back immediately afterwards. Since I'm coming from Austin, that can be rough to head down to Houston on Friday night and turn around and come back the next day. However, since my daughter will be out of school by June, we can head down earlier, spend some quality time with Grandma and hit the fest before driving home. Also, the wife may not like me hauling her down to Houston the day before Mother's day. In all honestly, I'll probably need that day to scramble for a gift for my mother and from my daughter.

TLDR? I second the 1 June option purely for selfish reasons.
Old May 21, 2013   #5
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

As my schedule has officially cleared up on June 1, let me double-check with the Chief Scheduling Officer about this. Also, my large-fruit plants are still working hard. I do have a small selection just at this moment for sampling (including some stray ATKINSON!) but it's not really up to my usual standard yet. I am having bird issues and am having to go out twice a day to inspect and cull.