Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 9, 2009   #16
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Most would have been very large if I didn't use hedge pruners to keep them under control. I had one in a 5 gallon pot and it only got to be about 4 feet before it died.
Old February 26, 2009   #17
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Update Time!

Johno emailed me and hasn't had luck germinating the F1 seeds I sent him,yet. Has any one else tryed to germinate the F1 seed they got yet? Do Tell.

F2-As for myself, I have 2/5 germination on Orange b and 100% germination on Red a (15 seeds). I am only going to grow two plants of these Red a at my place and the rest will be going to friends and moms(hopefully will still get descriptions and F3 seed from these.

Let the fun begin!
Old February 26, 2009   #18
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Too early here in Michigan to start seed, 1-2 weeks away. I'll let you know how I make out.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2009   #19
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

hi vince -
Started on 2/19 and 1 of 4 up so far. However, almost all the other tomatoes in that tray are up. I saved a couple of seeds back for a second planting. I also started 350 Sungold F2 looking for that unusual foliage scent. Think I have it on a handful of the seedlings.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2009   #20
Vince
Tomatovillian™

It seems the germination rate for the F1 seeds is low. I didn't remember having any problems last year when I started the seeds. For those who havn't planted yet or have seeds left, you may want to try soaking the seeds for 24-48 hours in a cup of water, this helps for me sometimes. Or if you know any other tricks.
Old February 28, 2009   #21
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

I just started the few F1 seeds you sent. I did a pre-soak, then moved them to moistened blotter paper. I'll let you know what I get. Which F2 family did you send me? I'll start these in peat pots next week.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2009   #22
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Frogsleap,

I didn't see this post until today. Your F2 seed are Orange a. I started a bunch of these over the summer and had no problem germinating. Actually I have one of these plants growing(the only one that survived all the disease this fall) and it is about 5 feet tall and loaded with large flowers. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old March 6, 2009   #23
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Vince - two of the F1 seed germinated, I'll transfer them to soil tomorrow. I planted the F2 seed directly into soil, too early for emergence, but seed quality looked excellent.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2009   #24
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

F2 seeds were planted three days ago. Nothing yet. I'll let you know.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2009   #25
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

1 of 12 after 5 days.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2009   #26
Vince
Tomatovillian™

I started a lot of plants of orange F2 a for the fall last year. Had lots of problems with disease and ended up keeping two. I pulled one of those since it was really sickly and it had a single sungold sized green fruit hanging from it. Kept the fruit and let it table ripen. Just cut it open and it has the same bicolor tendancy as the F1 plant! this is really nice and unexpected to get a bicolors from this cross. Taste is horrible, but remember I probably picked this fruit 3 weeks early. I won't save seeds from this fruit since we should eventually have alot of bicolor cherries and larger to select from. Plenty of more F2 seeds where this one came from. The other plant I have left has much much larger flowers, so probably much much larger fruit. Unfortunately I will have to pull it April 30th since I am moving Maybe I'll get some greenies off it to table ripen to get a sneek peak of what to come.
Old March 17, 2009   #27
johno
Tomatovillian™

No luck here with the F1 seeds. 0 out of 5. The upside is that I have Sungold F1s and Sungold F3s growing for comparison.
Old March 18, 2009   #28
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Johno , if you want some F2 seed to grow this year if it is not to late in the season let me know.
Old March 27, 2009   #29
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Vince - looks like just that one F1, but it's a husky, healthy fellow. I'll keep you posted. Also selected 10 of 350 Sungold F2 starts to plant out.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2009   #30
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Great news Goodwin!

I am glad we are getting a few more F1s to look at.

The two F2 Orange b plants I have look good and will go into 15 gallon pots in the next few days.

The 15 F2 Red b (largest) are very healthy 8 inch plants at the moment, and I will plant most of these in the ground this weekend at my mom's place in san diego. There is already a large amount of variation apparent in the leaf shapes

The one Orange a F2 Plant I have left from the fall has finally set fruit and it is clearly a beefsteak, very wrinkled and oblate fruit. Recall the other one I had gave small bicolor cherries. I am sure I will be able to pick a few of these before I move and let them table ripen for a few seed and color ID. Frogsleap is the only one growing new plants of these this year, and it should be quite interesting to see what he gets. Wish I had started a few of these for myself!

Either way, this probably means any one growing several F2 plants from any line has a good chance to get some beefsteak type fruit along with the cherries.

Can't wait to see what we all get!