Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 8, 2012   #16
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn, I see now. Guess my reading comprehension wasn't at it's finest yesterday.
btw, you're free to use my name instead of initials, if you prefer. But either is fine
Old January 8, 2012   #17
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I am such a Sungold fan - this new cross sounds amazing. I missed out last year on Carolyn's seed offer and plan to keep monitoring for when it comes online....

Robbin
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2012   #18
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Hey folks, whatever happened to this strain?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2012   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Hey folks, whatever happened to this strain?
Scott, there was more than one strain if you go back up and read what Vince posted.

What I chose from what he offered to me is called Vince P1, a slection from the original cross between Sungold and Cherokee Purple. And in this thread several of us now have reported back on that one.

And I put up my seed offer about 3 AM today and am offering Vince P1 in the Experimental section.
Old January 13, 2012   #20
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

oh yum, that sounds wonderful! Will it be a big plant like Sungold is?
Old January 13, 2012   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
oh yum, that sounds wonderful! Will it be a big plant like Sungold is?
Lakelady, if you go back to post #1 youll see that Vince mentioned more than one selection and I'm sure that he's continuing to work with a brownish colored cherry but as he said, at the F4 he also got some purple ones, and those are the ones, now the F5, that I listed in my recent seed offer.

I didn't get any fruits here at home, a very lousy year, but someone in NC did seed production for me.

Considering that both Sungold F1 and Cherokee Purple, the two parents, are both indetweminat I think it likely that the eventual genetically stable ones might also be indeterminate, but that would have to be confirmed.

l
Old January 14, 2012   #22
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I grew out 3 F4 variations last year and the plants were smaller - about 4 feet and indeterminant.
Two were cherries, and one plant bore larger purple fruit. I also have F2 seed I've saved and I'll start some of those this season.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2012   #23
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Lakelady, if you go back to post #1 youll see that Vince mentioned more than one selection and I'm sure that he's continuing to work with a brownish colored cherry but as he said, at the F4 he also got some purple ones, and those are the ones, now the F5, that I listed in my recent seed offer.

I didn't get any fruits here at home, a very lousy year, but someone in NC did seed production for me.

Considering that both Sungold F1 and Cherokee Purple, the two parents, are both indetweminat I think it likely that the eventual genetically stable ones might also be indeterminate, but that would have to be confirmed.

l
Thanks Carolyn, I was just wondering as I've not grown Sungold and folks say it's such a large plant, if the goal of this cross was also a larger plant. It will be fun to watch and see what comes of it!
Old February 6, 2012   #24
Vince
Tomatovillian™

I probably grew out 20 or so plants of different purple and brown selections last year. However, the ones I grew in pots were not that great and the ones that I had in the ground, which were outstanding, got the labels mixed up so I didn't save any seed. Ultimately I hope we end up with two varieties which will be called purple sungold and chocolate sungold respectively. with so many different lines in circulation, there is bound to be a lot of confusion in the future. I will continue making selections, and when I think I have a stable variety of optimum flavor, color and texture I will make an offering. Thiis will probably be several years from now, since the varieties are still segregating significantly with respect to fruit size, color, and skin thickness. All plants I have grown were indeterminate type, never saw a hint of determinant character.

V
Old February 14, 2012   #25
378j5
Tomatovillian™

All 10 seeds of Vince P1 F5 from Carolyn137's 2012 seed offer were planted using bottom heat b/t 78 and 85F. 100% germination. Days to germination: 1 in 4 days, 6 in 5, 2 in 6 and 1 in 11. All now under 40 watt flourescent tubes.

Is this the proper place to make reports on these plants?
378j5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2012   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 378j5 View Post
All 10 seeds of Vince P1 F5 from Carolyn137's 2012 seed offer were planted using bottom heat b/t 78 and 85F. 100% germination. Days to germination: 1 in 4 days, 6 in 5, 2 in 6 and 1 in 11. All now under 40 watt flourescent tubes.

Is this the proper place to make reports on these plants?
No, this is not the proper place to report germination results but I'm delighted you got 100% germination/

I had noted in the seed offer and also in the following thread for the seed offer that I'd be putting up a specific germination thread in a few weeks and will do so in the Geneeral Discussion Forum.

And it's in that special thread that I'd like germination results on ALL the different varieties that I sent out.

So just hang onto your data until I put up that thread and then report your Vince P1 results there as well as any others you germinated.

BTW, Lee N will be also pleased with your results b'c he's the one who did seed production for Vince P1/
Old February 20, 2014   #27
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Any updates on Chocolate Sungold?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #28
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about the status of the Chocolate Sungold being addressed in this thread, but here is a hybrid from Burpee they have named Sunchocola. I have no idea what makes up its lineage, but I am growing a couple this year to see what it's like.

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tom...rod003179.html
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #29
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I wonder, too, if Vince has continued development of the small brown line. I have a number of the crosses and thought they showed some real promise. Other folks who were growing them out had difficulty telling when they were ripe and there was some negative feedback, perhaps undeserved.
I should mention we have bred two brown cherries with Sungold as a parent - Ambrosia Giant and Copper Currant.
Hi, Salsacharlie - have you started things yet? Looks like it might be an early, dry, and windy spring. Wind flattened one of my hoop houses last night - must have hit 70 mph here!
Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #30
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I don't know about the status of the Chocolate Sungold being addressed in this thread, but here is a hybrid from Burpee they have named Sunchocola. I have no idea what makes up its lineage, but I am growing a couple this year to see what it's like.

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tom...rod003179.html
that's not a Burpee hybrid or exclusive. there are other companies that distributed that Japanese hybrid before Burpee. I've grown it. In fact, I've grown F2 seeds from Sunchocola and gotten both black and red cherries of excellent flavor and production.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote