Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 7, 2009   #1
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Default Galina's Yellow x Snow White F1

I did the cross last season and grew out a single F1 plant over our winter just for seed. Well, to eat as well I guess. And boy are they good. An excellent blend of the best flavour qualities of each of the parents.
Old December 28, 2009   #2
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Looking forward to tasting them too Ray! Just picked this truss today

Old December 31, 2009   #3
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Ray I LOVE this hybrid! It's not quite as sweet as I recall Snow White being, but it has nuances of Sungold yet is less funky (and in my opinion is a better flavour than Sungold). The tomatoes don't look as "gold" in reality as this photo suggests, but the skin is definitely gold when the fruit is very ripe compared to the yellow flesh. It's easily 8.5/10 for me.

Old December 31, 2009   #4
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

This one looks fabulous. Are you going to carry it out to F2 and beyond? Also, do you have a name planned for your favorite selection? I'll gladly volunteer to carry it out in our spring if you like.
Old January 1, 2010   #5
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Glad you like it PP. It is a nice hybrid. I should try out the other Galina's Yellow crosses I did. There'd be some interesting material in their offspring.

Linda, I've got 10 F2 plants in this season and picked the first fruit just yesterday. Not ripe yet though. I chose to only grow PL plants for no other reason than I like the foliage. I'd be happy to send you some F1 and F2 seeds for you to try. You can do with them what you like. Make your own selection(s). With Australia's strict import requirements on tomato seed, movement into Australia is problematic at best. There are no export restrictions though. PM me your postal details if interested.

Last edited by Raymondo; January 2, 2010 at 02:43 AM.
Raymondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2010   #6
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Ray, thank you so much. I've sent you a PM.
Old January 2, 2010   #7
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm ... PP, did you mean Galina's Yellow above, rather than Sun Gold?
Old February 26, 2010   #8
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

I planted seeds of Galina's Yellow X Snow White F1 and F2 on Feb 24, 2010. Will report here on germination, etc.

You also sent me seed of Galina's Yellow x Black Krim F1 which I planted on Feb 24th. Do you want me to report on that in this thread or do you want to start a new one?

Thank you again. I'm looking forward to these.
Old February 27, 2010   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda10 View Post
Ray,

I planted seeds of Galina's Yellow X Snow White F1 and F2 on Feb 24, 2010. Will report here on germination, etc.

You also sent me seed of Galina's Yellow x Black Krim F1 which I planted on Feb 24th. Do you want me to report on that in this thread or do you want to start a new one?

Thank you again. I'm looking forward to these.
Aha, the cross between Galina's and Black Krim has been done before, many years ago by Steve Draper who was then living in Utah, the one who named the variety Dr. Carolyn.

Steve sent me 4 F1 seeds, I sowed all 4 seeds b'c of course there was no need to b'c all 4 plants should have been identical as to fruits and plant habit, etc., and they were.

But with saved F2 seeds I had problems. I could not get any gene segregation and twice I planted out about 12 plants per season, and then I moved to my present location and never pursued it. The plants from the F2 seeds were scrawny looking things, I can tell you that.

I did save F3 seeds and my memory says that I might have even offered them in a seed offer long ago, and my memory also tells me that someone did get some segregation but I don't remember what is was.

From that first experience with Galina as newly brought back from Siberia by Bill McDorman showed subsequently, I think there's something a bit strange about Galina genetics.

To recap. I saved seeds from Galina, planted out several the next year, got no plants that were PL and plants that each had different colored cherries of red, or yellow or pink or the ivory one I initially called Ivory mutant, not knowing what I was dealing with. At the same time Steve Draper was having the same instability problem with Galina and asked me to send the best of what I had, which was the ivory one which he loved and named Dr. Carolyn.

Dr. Carolyn was not initially stable either and threw some red fruited plants and some pink fruited plants and the SSE person who sent me the pink ones had named it Dr. Carolyn pink, and that to this day can give plants with pink fruits the size of the Dr. C fruits and plants that have much larger pink cherries, and I mentioned this at several places and also in my SSE blurb when I listed it there.

So then Dr. C mutated to the GW ripe called Green Doctors, and now GD has mutated via the epidermis gene from yellow to clear to give what's called Green Doctors Frosted, a clear skin green when ripe.

I'm not sure what comes next, but I still think that the Galina that Steve and I worked with back then, and probably maybe for some even today, has weird genetics.

So with the Galina X Black Krim I hope anyone working with the F2 seeds gets more and better gene segregation than I did.
Old February 27, 2010   #10
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that information, Carolyn. I'll keep a sharp eye on these and report back with that in mind. Just what I need, another problem child!
Old February 28, 2010   #11
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I also planted these and the Galina x Black Krim from Ray on Feb. 23rd. As of today, 3 out of ? have come up. I planted all the seeds he sent but didn't count them as he said they should be regular leaf. I will see how many regular leaf plants I get after they are all up.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2010   #12
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

I'm so glad to see someone else growing these so we can compare notes. I can't believe we planted them a day apart!

Gal x Sn White F1 germ=100% (4 of 4) in 4 days, all RL
Gal x Sn White F2 germ=80% (8 of 10) in 4 days, 4 RL, 4PL
GalxSnWhite F2 PL-RL.jpg

Gal x Blk Krim F1 germ=50% (2 of 4) in 4 days, 1 RL, 1 headless, no picture yet
Old March 18, 2010   #13
salix
Tomatovillian™

Will she be called Snow Gal ?
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2010   #14
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Linda,
I had the 3 plants, Galina x Black Krim, come up but one was potato leaf so I pulled it. Mine sure don't look as big/bushy as yours do but they are coming along ok. I'll take some pictures when I transplant into 4" pots. They are still in their cubies.
Sue
Old March 18, 2010   #15
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Salix,
That is a great name for the cross.
Sue