Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 13, 2009   #91
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Update: Have quite a few F3 plants from the small and big F2 Browns. Taste so far is excellent on most 8+. As expected the F3 fruits from the small brown F2 seed are mostly nice small cherries(sungold size, with a few slightly larger mixed in) all Browns so far. The F3 plants from the large brown F2 seed are much larger, most 2ozs+. One of these has produced a 6.5 oz brown beefsteak. The most exciting find is that I have two plants from this line pumping out delicious 2oz purples! Checked the skin to make sure. Now we have lots of Brown seed lines and a few purples for 2010.
Old October 13, 2009   #92
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

hi Vince -

I saved the seed from the F1 cross, but I'm not expecting what you're seeing to emerge since the interesting traits are recessive in this case. I might be able to help you pursue one of these other lines. I also have some of the crosses I've made to wild hybrids you might want to mess with - lots of crazy genetics there. Some have Sun Gold parentage. Turned out to be a pretty good year, huh?
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2009   #93
icelord
Tomatovillian™

Default Hybrids

Hey Vince! Amazing stuff! If you need any help I have room and keep good records. My question would be, do any of these crosses exhibit any disease resistance? And how much does hybrid vigor figure into the mix?

Dean
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2009   #94
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

I've got a volunteer sungold F2 I was thinking about growing F3 and F4 next season, but a cross would be alot more fun.
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2010   #95
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

So Vince - I'm getting around to sending you the seeds saved from Vinces's Very Fine Cherry. I don't think you'll see further segregation, but it is a nice orange. I'm curious about the browns and purples you're seeing. Are you keeping things going through the winter?
Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2010   #96
Vince
Tomatovillian™

"I'm getting around to sending you the seeds saved from Vinces's Very Fine Cherry. I don't think you'll see further segregation"

you would be suprised, have seen F2 Reds and pinks from F1 Oranges in this cross!
Old February 19, 2010   #97
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Vince - I'll send seed from the best F2 lines and the two new F1's I grew last year.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote