Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old February 23, 2008   #1
Rastagecko
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for flea beetle resistant potato

I posted a thread last year about flea beetles and wanting a variety that is resistant to them. I am looking for fuzzy foliage types. I just received my SSE yearbook and am looking for new types to try this year. I see Prince Harry, but it is not supposed to be the best tasting variety. I have not had a chance to read through all of the descriptions yet, but are there any varieties that I should look for to help with flea beetles?
James
Rastagecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2008   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I can't say I've ever heard of a flea beetle resistant potato. Have you tried pyrethrin sprays or using row covers?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2008   #3
Rastagecko
Tomatovillian™

I am trying to avoid chemicals and I don't have the time or patience to mess with ground covers or other physical barriers. Usually the potato plants grow fast enough to not be bothered by the flea beetles. But during slow growing seasons, like last year, the pests cause a bit more damage.
James
Rastagecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2008   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Pyrethrin is not a chemical. It is an OMRI Organic tree extract.

I don't know how many rows of potatoes you are trying to protect. If it were me, I'd buy some 1 x 2 strips and row cover and staple the row cover to the strips and just lay it down over top of the potato plants. About 10 minutes work.

Maybe there are other solutions out there.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote