Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old June 16, 2009   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default what's everyone harvesting?

Just picked my 2nd quart of black raspberries. My neighbor has picked 2 quarts also. With lack of rain early in the season, I thought they would be a waste but rains came and the berries swelled and are luscious. Then I moved on to the snow peas and sugar snaps - heavy set on the snow peas, medium on ss, and shelling were a loss. Very small with only a pea or two to the pod - not worth the effort. Loads of spinach and lettuces. Early planted tomatoes are setting heavily, later plants are just taking off.
Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2009   #2
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

hi, piegirl. for me just arugula, zucchini, crookneck squash, and herbs. tomatoes a couple more weeks for the early varieties.

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2009   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Raspberries! They were a couple weeks early this year, and I've been harvesting about a quart every day or two, plus whatever I eat while picking -- probably another quart -- all month. I've also eaten a few thornless blackberries -- but I need to put up more bird netting before the birds find out they're ripening. Already harvested lots of red currants and rhubarb. I get a small daily handful of strawberries.

I planted an extra row of walking kale in the fall so that I could cut back or remove my original planting, which is next to (and hanging over) a path. The new ones have enormous leaves and are already 4 ft. high. The old ones are lush and full, no matter how much I pick! Last month I cut 18 stems and sent the cuttings to someone in Texas who'd had trouble finding them locally, and I pick a grocery bagful every week or so. Everyone who comments on them gets offered a cutting. I've potted up lots for plant exchanges. Hasn't put a dent.

I let the russian kales reseed themselves wherever they want, so I've been harvesting some leaves that get in the way of strawberries, beans, or blackberries. The peacock kale has tiny broccoli heads that haven't gotten aphids (unlike all other broccolis I've grown), so I eat those in the garden.

I picked the last of the celery and artichokes a week or so ago, and the garlic is still drying in the sun.

The lavenders have just started blooming, so if I want to dry lavender buds I need to pick them asap -- usually I don't get them in time.

The peas are long gone. I planted in the fall, so this year I had some early peas. Snow peas always produce much better than snap peas for me, but I still plant both types.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2009   #4
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

My spring peas are done. I'm letting the green beans go now because I want to increase the seed. I'll be having pole beans in ten days or so. I've been pulling tomatoes for the past week or so and we pulled the onions Monday.
Today I got marjoram, oregano, thyme, basil, some tiny ornamental hot peppers that are just the right size for a little heat, two romas, and I've been picking seeds from the radishes and the asparagus.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2009   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes, but they are just about done for the year. Yellow squash and its about done too.Ditto for cukes. Okra is on the way
Old June 17, 2009   #6
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Right now I'm getting cukes and zukes. Just finished collecting all of the potatoes
last week. Also a few sungolds have ripened, but the kids have been eating all of
those before I could get a taste.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2009   #7
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Smart kids!

(and to make my message longer, we picked 3 strawberries to have on our cereal this morning)
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2009   #8
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Not many black raspberries here this year and strawberries were smaller than last year and they are done now. You and your darned microclimate. I have just two of the 28 tomato plants with fruit. With all the rain and cool temps, most everything real looks good. Cabbage is about ready to be harvested. Green beans are a week away and the potatoes are blossoming, the beets need to be thinned again and those who get yanked will make for small beets as a side dish.

Omaha Garden Club toured Brownville and I got to talk tomato with several; more Fest people.
Old June 17, 2009   #9
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Lettuce, arugula and spinach done or long gone. Harvesting scallions, beets, various herbs (cilantro, parsley, burnet, red veined sorrell, basil, oregano, mint, thyme, rosemary), rainbow chard, red russian kale, three types of summer squash, three types of cukes, and a few blueberries.

Melons just starting to set, as are eggplant and sweet peppers. I could pick hot peppers (not red ripe yet, but all sorts of colors). Beans blossoming/setting (still tiny). First tomatoes (Mex Midget, Sungold, Kangaroo Paw Green) a week or so away.
Old June 17, 2009   #10
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

While I'm still trying to get much of my tomatoes planted, I do have a few ripe ones on some plants that were hanging baskets first but got planted when they went "off color" in the baskets. Most of them already had fruit on them so now I have a few ripe Basket Kings and Yellow Tumbling Toms.

We had an early (for us) planting of kohlrabi that didn't do too well and those that bulbed up are now gone. The broccoli planted at the same time tho has done better. A bit made button heads, but a good rain made the rest size up nicely and we had the only broccoli at the market the last 2 Saturdays.

Not much else here yet.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2009   #11
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jerico Romaine and Thai Green lettuce, eggplant (Applegreen, Ping Tung Long and Casper), sweet peppers-Healthy, Apelsin, hot peppers-Turkish Cayenne and Red Rocket, cukes- Poona Kheera, various herbs, especially Genovese and Napoletano Basil and a few, very few, tomatoes.
Old June 17, 2009   #12
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Had a lot of arugula! salad burnet, parsley, cilantro (now making coriander!), snow peas (Oregon Sugar Pod II- really good!), a few radishes, none of the turnips actually turniped.... chives, walking onions, tomatoes just setting. some Burpee Bibb lettuce is the only lettuce that came up well.

i also ate my first leaf of New Zealand spinach- pretty good! first pepper will go on a pizza tonight.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2009   #13
Tania
Tomatovillian™

- Lettuce (some varieties started to bolt, so it is getting close to the end of spring lettuce season)
- Garlic scapes (yum!)
- cucumbers (~half a dozen/day and getting more)
- broccoli (started this week)
- asparagus season was over 2 weeks ago
- strawberries, including wild strawberries
- green onions and some young small bulbs
- misc greens - i.e. cilantro, mustard, cress, arugula, etc

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2009   #14
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I forgot garlic-harvested Lordz Italian, probably this weekend will harvest the rest.
Old June 17, 2009   #15
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Tomatos of course. The attached show Brandywine, starting at noon going counter clockwise, Indian Stripe, the purple one and those next to it and a generically named cherry grape. Mmm, mmm good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0372-3-1.jpg (145.8 KB, 12 views)
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote