Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 17, 2010   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default SPRING!!!!

The rhubarb knobs are showing, the regular peas are planted, the asparagus is trimmed back. Tomorrow will plant the snow and snap peas. Some soil is alittle too wet but should be fine by tomorrow. Just in time for snow on Saturday! Spinach plants are starting to grow - I fall plant. A little bit of lettuce has starte to grow. How about anyone else? Zone 5 Nebraska - piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2010   #2
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

the snow is gone for now, but it's only mid-March. nothing planted or ready. the first thing to be planted around here is a few potatoes on Good Friday. that doesn't mean they'll make it, it's just one of the things Grandma did and people have always done, so it's just gotta be done.
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2010   #3
SteveS
Tomatovillian™

Started the peppers, tomatillos & celeriac last night & readied my APS trays to plant my maters today (assuming I get the last pack of mater seed I requested thru SSE)!!!

Flowering bulbs & trees seem slow so far this year around here. Can hardly wait!

Steve
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2010   #4
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Rick & I agreed we've never been so happy to see spring! I went out and did a little weeding at my garden yesterday, but it was too wet to think about planting. I really hope it dries up by tomorrow so I can get something in. Really, really need to start the peas. And lettuces, can't wait for lettuce!

Well, since I can't plant, I guess I'll go over to the garden store and spend too much.

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2010   #5
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

AAARRRGGGH - how quickly everything changes - we had 2 1/2 INCHES of snow last yesterday/early this AM! But the most important - the SUN, the SUN is shining - after a winter of very very few days of sun.
Piegirl
Old March 22, 2010   #6
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Piegirl, I hope everything melted again without incident.

I'm wondering -- does anyone know if it's okay to plant anything while the ground is still wet? We had more rain, and there's supposed to be more rain off and on for the next five days. I sure would like to put some things in.

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2010   #7
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

we are finally seeing the sunshine and 55 degree days. The rhubarb has really popped, peonies are coming up, most the crocus are blooming, some are already finished, daffodil buds showing, and best of all today I could yellow buds on the forsythia. Turned over a good section of the garden - tons of worms, haven't seen that many worms in several years. OH HAPPY DAY! piegirl
Old March 26, 2010   #8
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Daffodils blooming, garlic up and growing, early, potted, tomatoes out on the back porch on warm days (65-70 F). 2 inches of freak snow last night.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2010   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I can now wear shorts and tee shirt to work in the garden. Also need sunscreen and early or late need bug spray.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2010   #10
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

We went from snow to mosquitos in one week. Potatoes in the ground Thursday, rhubarb moved to a better location, asparagus to be planted in a week, the garden plan laid out, seeds all ready for the soil to warm up. Piegirl, do we have one more snow before we plant in earnest?
Old April 7, 2010   #11
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I don't know about snow - well, just west of here today but I do think we have a lot cold weather still to come. I have had two cuttings of asparagus already - can't believe the # of spears coming up, I don't seem to get the ready big fat ones but like a fat ball point pen. Potatoes were planted Good Friday. St. Patrick's Day I planted the peas - up by the 27th. Shopco has some beautiful fruit trees and of all things - TOMATO plants. I asked about broccoli and they showed me TOMATO plants. Sorry but NO! Piegirl
Old April 7, 2010   #12
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Well I'm enjoying my day off today and have planted 1/2 of my tomato plants in containers here in No Va. Crossing my fingers that this early spring stays on course and no freezes. LOL well I'm reading my notes from last year and we had freeze on 4/7 and again on 4/13 yet this year appears warmer and just might dodge that cold spell. Holding back some plants just in case of a disaster. My dwarfs are already starting to bloom and two of my Lucky Leprechan's have small maters starting to grow. So I'm quite happy and wish everyone a productive summer this year and no flooding rains.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2010   #13
kath
Tomatovillian™

Hurrah for spring! We had 93.4 degrees today! Peas are up about 3 in., 1st asparagus spear popped up today as well as the 1st corn sprouts that are under vented plastic. Celery is in, overwintered spinach and lettuce are getting ready to bolt because of the heat, but their replacements are coming along well. Strawberries, apples, blueberries blooming, early potatoes planted; tomato and pepper seedlings have spent over a week outside in the sun and seem very happy, too. The 10-day forecast here looks pretty safe...let's hope for the best!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote