Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 20, 2012   #31
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Hear, hear! That's what I'm after. I'm actually looking for something of the sweetness of a paprika with the flavor of a habanero, and the shape of a Jimmy Nardello or a bell, the aroma of a Trinidad Perfume and the SHU in the 1-10K range. Sweet, flowery, aromatic, and mild enough to eat without a gallon of milk at my side, that I can roast, stuff, dice, or saute.
Not too much to ask, is it?
I think it would be a great seller.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #32
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I vote for that pepper also. Linda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #33
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius_II View Post
I hope y'all will keep in mind, there's still an enormous untapped potential for medium-hot and so-called ornamental peppers. (I dislike the term "ornamental" because it implies the peppers have no culinary value, which is usually far from the truth.)

The Chile Pepper Institute's selection of ornamentals is quite good, and if any part of one's projected income includes selling starter plants for transplanting, one would do well to take a look.

I'm hoping to try growing Hot Portugal for the first time this year. Found some inexpensive HP through Ebay. I think I'm going to get something like a cross between a New Mexico pod type and a "large thick cayenne" type, IOW maybe even a NM pod type that's hotter than Barker's Hot, if a bit slimmer. That would be something a lot of gardeners could, like, you know, actually cook with.
But since we were talking about profits, the money per plant from the folks looking for that near death experience of superhots is a whole lot better. If you're talking about seeds at .50 or more per seed for some of the in demand supers, one decently productive plant grown isolated to ensure pure seeds might net you $500.

Nothing else I know of that's legal comes close.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #34
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
Hear, hear! That's what I'm after. I'm actually looking for something of the sweetness of a paprika with the flavor of a habanero, and the shape of a Jimmy Nardello or a bell, the aroma of a Trinidad Perfume and the SHU in the 1-10K range. Sweet, flowery, aromatic, and mild enough to eat without a gallon of milk at my side, that I can roast, stuff, dice, or saute.
Not too much to ask, is it?
I think it would be a great seller.
I agree for the average gardener, but the demand hasn't been there judging by what people ask for, even when I did my seed offering here. People haven't heard of most of them unless they're a pepper collector.

Lots of people asked for some of the superhots though.

Here is as close as I have to your description. Chinense species flavor, very mild, but not quite as floral as a Trinidad Perfume. This one I already have pure stable seed for, just growing out a larger amount this year.

My favorite of the Caribbean seasoning peppers is the Grenada Seasoning, unfortunately it's not been terribly productive the past two years.

Old February 20, 2012   #35
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If you're talking about seeds at .50 or more per seed for some of the in demand supers, one decently productive plant grown isolated to ensure pure seeds might net you $500... Nothing else I know of that's legal comes close.
Oh, I understand that quite well. I'm talking more about a garden products operation that's just sufficiently large enough it can contribute something to further creating of the demand. That's the kind of thing one looks into after the "rare and hard to find" seeds (and transplants?) have paid the bills.
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #36
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Those are some fine looking peppers!
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #37
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Well... I thought I was done planting peppers and eggplants, but with all this talk, I went back and planted the rest of the Douglah and TS Moruga blend peppers to produce a seed crop for next year
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #38
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful, mark. I got so many peppers in my recent request, I'm overwhelmed. I want to grow them all, and I'm looking into black grow bags (and more deer netting). Anything to have less lawn to mow and more to eat, give away, freeze, or even set up a table at the bottom of the driveway.
Thanks, again!
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #39
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh, I understand that quite well. I'm talking more about a garden products operation that's just sufficiently large enough it can contribute something to further creating of the demand. That's the kind of thing one looks into after the "rare and hard to find" seeds (and transplants?) have paid the bills.
I would love to have a large city near me where I could try to build a market by dropping off boxes of peppers like the Caribbean seasoning varieties with local chefs.

I've got seedlings for another dozen new seasoning types this year. I think these types have great potential for something that most Normal people can find a use for. A whole different league compared to the average bell pepper.
Old February 20, 2012   #40
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite26 View Post
Those are some fine looking peppers!
Thanks! I had grand plans to start selling seeds last year, so I took a lot of pictures.
Old February 20, 2012   #41
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I would love to have a large city near me where I could try to build a market by dropping off boxes of peppers like the Caribbean seasoning varieties with local chefs.
If you can plan to have peppers ready to use during the height of the tourist season... Geez, it's been a very long time since I last set foot in Vilas County, St. Germain to be specific. I don't have that much idea what NE Wisconsin is like these days, just that the resort we used to go to is apparently still going stronger than ever. We never went out to restaurants, though, bought groceries only to supplement the fish we caught ourselves. Still, I'd think there must be some pretty nice restaurants in, say, Eagle River, Rhinelander. Are there any decent farmer's markets in towns like those?

We never went to John Dillinger's hideout, the restaurant at Little Bohemia, either, but who knows what kind of stuff the cook might be willing to put on the menu. Arming yourself with plenty of recipes you've tested yourself is an obvious tactic, especially with spicy-but-not-too-much peppers. So useful in so many ways that the average person wouldn't necessarily think of. I can't imagine that bluegill, sunfish, muskie wouldn't go well with some of your peppers.

...All of which is just my rambling way of saying, when the going gets tough, the tough get creative. When it gets a little less tough, they get even more creative. You sound like a pretty creative guy to me.
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #42
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
that is what we are doing with microgreens here locally.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #43
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

OK I have a really basic sort of mellow harshing question (apologize in advance) - So those of you growing for sale, tomatoes & peppers, esp. the shipping sales, do about insurance? What kind? How much? My agent told me if I do my sales on my property I am covered via Homeowners. Fine. But I also grow off my property - what if I wanted to sell "excess" from there (produce not plants)? What insurance? How much? Still a hobby if I do not rack up more than $400 profit?
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #44
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

You need product liability insurance. Most farmers markets require it.

Here in Wisconsin they're trying hard to make it easier to get started, so there are some exemptions for different things. Still, we are a litigious society, so you should probably get coverage and it does make it hard to stay hobby sized when you start out with a big insurance bill to cover.

I think homeowners only covers you if you sell directly from your property, i.e. a produce stand out front (and you had better be zoned and permitted for that). I believe if you're delivering to restaurants, selling at a farmers market or shipping anything you need a seperate business/product liabiltiy policy.

I own another business so I have one already, although I probably need to ask the question about coverage for selling produce and see if they raise my rates.
Old February 28, 2012   #45
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

i carry a million in liability coverage for my business. i think that is fairly standard for a smallish produce operation.

some farmers markets make it easier and cover you under their policy for your vendor fees but that only covers you for that particular market. the markets i sell at do not offer that option anyway.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote