Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 17, 2010   #31
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

My folks are flagging me down all over town now - in the FOOD LION my butcher squalled, "You growing them maters again? Save me some big uns!". City works guys are circling our cul-de-sac to see when I begin setting up the saw horses (this week but I have to finish moving the pile of pine mulch & hot horse manure to be able to back the boat out of the driveway first LOL) (they were busted out by a co-worker). I have been getting eggs in trade in anticipation of really good slicers (I can do that for sure). We have been contacted by the groups I donated to last year - loved the charitable donation tax deduction for the unpurchased!. Repeat buyers are calling (I tell them to bring their friends) & I am still transplanting but very excited (this year I am setting aside my "picks of the litter" - forgot to do that last year & learned runts do great LOL!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2010   #32
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I am planning to try and grow some plants in the greenhouse so that in the spring, I will have tomatoes for people to taste when they buy the plants. I am hoping this will work.
I had one lady drive 25+ miles just to buy plants. MINDBLOWING
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2010   #33
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormymater View Post
My folks are flagging me down all over town now - in the FOOD LION my butcher squalled, "You growing them maters again? Save me some big uns!". City works guys are circling our cul-de-sac to see when I begin setting up the saw horses (this week but I have to finish moving the pile of pine mulch & hot horse manure to be able to back the boat out of the driveway first LOL) (they were busted out by a co-worker). I have been getting eggs in trade in anticipation of really good slicers (I can do that for sure). We have been contacted by the groups I donated to last year - loved the charitable donation tax deduction for the unpurchased!. Repeat buyers are calling (I tell them to bring their friends) & I am still transplanting but very excited (this year I am setting aside my "picks of the litter" - forgot to do that last year & learned runts do great LOL!
Now thats funny! Folks here have already dubbed me , "The Tomato Man". I should have kept a list of all past visitors! WILL take your cue and set up a table when the fruits come in. I'm sure I could market to restaurants, but that would seem a major hassle in terms of delivery. 40 miles to Atlanta. We have the highest unemployment in the nation here in GA, so I really like the food bank idea, even though I have no need of a tax deduction. Next year, IF I sell plants, it will be far fewer in number. MOST of my seed that is saved I owe to you folks here and other newcomers. On the other hand, re the plants, I have averaged a tidy bit of pocket money that have REALLY helped to extend the budget. If I hired someone, like a young helper to save the back and hips, streamlined the process considerably, and had a greenhouse, this could easily be a very profitable business for someone, but yesterday there was a moment with no ability to move the legs when getting up and that scared the beejeebers out of me. Maybe I can train the fine young man who helped me reorganize everything and is coming back Moinday to spread my straw. He is working towards a degree in horticulture and I would love to help HIM get something started.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2010   #34
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

That's cool Mensplace. A tip from my insurance agent - if you sell the maters - do not transport them - sell them on your property to be covered by your homeowner's policy rather than having to buy additional coverage if you tote them around. I am far too small scale to consider buying insurance 'cause of a "bad" mater...
A bit of young labor goes a long way doesn't it? Heck any labor when it comes to labelling cups & scooping media is slavishly appreciated around here right now LOL. I keep transplanting & potting up even in my dreams!
Old April 19, 2010   #35
jhp
Tomatovillian™

For those of you selling your plants, how much are you charging? I'm thinking about selling my extras this year. Thought about putting an ad on craigslist and having a plant sale.

Thanks!

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2010   #36
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

The price may well depend upon your local market and competition. I'm trying to move mine fast just to be done with this phase. 2.50 for the small cups and 3.50 for the large. The mindset here is often that of HomeDepot, Wal-Mart, Lowes, and several others. Too, most don't even know what heirlooms are, so I am also spending quite a while with each customer in explaining that and qualifying their desires in terms of taste. I WILL have to start pushing the foreign named varieties. I'm sure that many here are selling at a higher price...and they are well worth it, but most have no idea of the cost or time involved in growing plants. Frankly, I will be VERY glad when this phase is done so I can better tend to my garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp View Post
For those of you selling your plants, how much are you charging? I'm thinking about selling my extras this year. Thought about putting an ad on craigslist and having a plant sale.

Thanks!

Jen
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2010   #37
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

$2 a cup (TY COSTCO) - if I am in the mood I'll throw in extras (usually I am in the mood LOL).
Old April 20, 2010   #38
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp View Post

Thanks!

Jen
In my first season of growing/selling, I was averaging U$4 for the cherries and U$9 for the rest. Plants were about 15" in height and in black grow bags.

Hope this helps...
huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote