Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 24, 2009   #16
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Wow! 10k! That's a lot of plants!

I got scared to death with 2k! I just knew I was going to be stuck with a gazillion plants no one wanted. As it stands now...I'm going to be sold out of everything except CP and RomaVF by Saturday. I just don't think I could ever do 10k...well...maybe never!
Old April 24, 2009   #17
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntoften View Post
Wow! 10k! That's a lot of plants!

I got scared to death with 2k! I just knew I was going to be stuck with a gazillion plants no one wanted. As it stands now...I'm going to be sold out of everything except CP and RomaVF by Saturday. I just don't think I could ever do 10k...well...maybe never!
Am there right now - anxiety-wise. Already am eyeing the big white grow bags to line the driveway with (not letting on to DH about Plan B)
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009   #18
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Well yesterday was my first farmers market for this year. It was actually my first day with plants in just over a year at that market because I goofed up a technicality last year and wasn't allowed to sell plants there at all last year.

The weather was great for our neck of the woods, especially after last weekends dumping rains. I think we did pretty well tho I had been hoping for a bit better. But it is about 2 weeks early yet for planting out in our area. Actually the guy that sells periennals grumbled that he didn't think it was a great day, so I guess I did OK.

Some of my plants aren't really ready and my stand was rather disorganzed as we can't find everything in the greenhouse right now. Since one of the greenhouses came down from heavy snow, we are the classic example of 10 lbs in a 5 lb sack.

It's still early in the plant season for me so I really can't say how good it may be this year.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009   #19
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

We did another market today. It's a "first Monday of the month" market that has been rather on the downslide the last few years.

The weather was perfect except for just a little bit too much wind. But it's still 2-3 weeks too early for planting in that area. (the 2 markets I went to have about a 10 day difference in planting date).

We really didn't expect a whole lot out of it but it surprised us with a really nice sales day and we sold nearly twice as much as we had hoped for.

Of course we had to "talk our heads off" telling the people about most of the varieties as we had so many people never heard of. But many were more than willing to try a "good" variety.

Looks like this is going to be the year of the tomato.

Carol
Old May 4, 2009   #20
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am now pretty much done at the market - did three Fri/Sat combos. It was a good year - still lots of plants left, but not worth my time to take two perfectly good gardening days and spend them at the market.
Old May 5, 2009   #21
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I'm down to about 400 or less plants now as well as some peppers and eggplant left. I have a few folks stopping by in the evenings this week and some more on Saturday. This may finally be the year I meet the demand...in past years I had to turn away a lot of customers.

Next year I MUST grow some dwarf varieties or something along those lines so I can get plants to all of those folks growing plants on their patios. Any recommendations of varieties for this are welcome!
Old May 5, 2009   #22
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

At this point, we find people like the existing dwarfs - Golden Dwarf Champion, Dwarf Stone, Lime Green Salad, New Big Dwarf - as well as Taxi and Sophie's Choice, for containers. We should have a great selection of far better dwarfs ready to go in a year or so!
Old May 5, 2009   #23
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Since i didn't know about some of the heirloom dwarves til I joined TV, I'm mostly growing the "commercial" dwarves like the Huskys and several with Bush in the name. We potted up quite a lot of early planting dwarves into 1 gal nursery pots and they have been selling like gangbusters for $6 each. I couldn't believe how many sold this weekend. Especially at my Monday market that tends to be "cheap".

One of my markets is in a college town. Many students want a tomato but only have a porch or balcony. For them the dwarf plants are ideal. Same for the retirees that now are in an apartment.

For myself and future seeds I also am growing several of the heirloom dwarves. I hope to be able to offer those next year too.

The one thing about the dwarves tho, more people tended to want a "slicer" rather than a cherry sized tomato. So dwarves that have even a medium sized slicer should sell better. Aprox First Lady size or a bit bigger.

Just what I've been seeing,
Carol
Old May 25, 2009   #24
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Fascinating reading. I don't grow enough for a farmer's market, but grow more than I can plant in the back yard and always give some plants away. People who have taken the chance and grown my plants are thrilled when I offer them some the next year. Wish more would try growing their own from seed.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2009   #25
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Are you folk in general selling the fruit or the fruit and the bushes?

Apart from Carol's one post re: dwarf species, it seems to all be mostly fruit, though a couple have mentioned moving several hundred plants.

I guess what I would like to know is, who sells both, who sells fruit exclusively and who sells plants exclusively?

Thanks!
huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2009   #26
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post

That system has worked for me for about 20 years now. You can find a copy of last year's list on my web site if you are interested.

Carol
I'm very interested, Carol. Could you supply the address, please?

Paul
huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote