Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 17, 2019   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default First Ripe Cherry Tomatoes 2019

Identities are mysteries due to dropped seedling tray.

Smallest is an especially small Sunsugar. Fingers crossed Esternia F1 (above Sungold) survived the dropped seedling tray, yummy taste. The three round "pink" may be Karma! Limbo or Lilliput for the oval?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Cherry Tomatoes 2019.JPG (97.1 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; July 17, 2019 at 11:56 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2019   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

KARMA pink are tall potato leaf plants so they should be pretty distinctive. If not potato leaf, they are not KARMA pink. In general KARMA pink fruit are large for a cherry, more of a cocktail size. Hope that will help?
Karen

Last edited by KarenO; July 20, 2019 at 12:09 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2019   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Top row, third tomato, small yellow/gold and round = Sunsugar. I just ate one. Taste it, and if it's sweet more than any other flavor - identity found

Last edited by AlittleSalt; July 19, 2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: ate not at
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2019   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

My first ripe was a sungold smelling plant. it is NOT sungold though. the plant was a "volunteer"/stray seed? I found growing in a pot in the flowers on the bench this Spring. nicest looking plant I had ever seen, so I planted it up in the hightunnel. grew beautifully. it is about 8' tall now and has clusters of red cherry tomatoes that are tart and flavorful.. they look like clusters of reisentraub.
Old July 19, 2019   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

How interesting that you have the Sungold smell, yet not the plant! Guess it's a Sungold cross or maybe F(something). I LOVE that SG smell .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2019   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
How interesting that you have the Sungold smell, yet not the plant! Guess it's a Sungold cross or maybe F(something). I LOVE that SG smell .

Linda
absolutely no idea. I do not have another plant that looks like it. it is dark green, has very compact leaves,very tall and LOADED with fantastically full clusters. I grow thousands of plants. I have no idea where this stray seed came from.
Old July 19, 2019   #7
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Get some Sunorange for next year (and don't drop them!). They are very sweet, tangy, and don't split! And I might add -- they appear to have good Septoria "resistance." I wish they were a little bigger, but are very similar to Sungold in size. Best cherries I've found thus far. Barb_FL was absolutely right about these!

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Septoria resistance would be GREAT for growing around here! I wonder if Sunchocola has it too...….

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019   #9
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Gesh, sorry Robert. I mistakenly said Sungold, when I meant Sunsugar. The rightmost plant second down is Sunsugar. I was searching for a Sungold plant. By coincidence, two nurseries that actually grow their own transplants on site were selling Sungold transplants but both were showing signs of early blight, so I bought Sunsugar instead.
Above Sunsugar I may have struck gold with saving an Esternia, my favorite cherry.
KarenO, of course Karma Pink is PL. What am I thinking. So confused now. Will have to check in the morning.

I'll be giving Sunorange some love too. If I promise not to drop the tray surely I can substitute loosing the tag or having it fade, That seems to be my calling card too < Oh well they all taste great.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Juane Flamee is a a fabulous 2nd ripe tomato now. it will be a repeat in my garden again.

The KARMA pnk guess looks like mine that I just started picking.

the sungold/sugar??? guess it doesn't look like sunsugar to me honestly. it looks like sungold. sungold splits whereas sungugar not as much. I quite growing sungold in my garden. I don't like split tomatoes. I can't harvest them and either set them on the counter sell them or give them away.