Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old July 11, 2019   #76
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog View Post
I saw some cool purple podded ones when searching around, but didn't find anyone selling them here in the US. If anyone knows where they are available I might be able to squeeze just one more thing in...
That would most likely be Aeron Purple Star, which to my knowledge is the only purple-podded runner bean. The developer is a gardener, and shared seed freely within the seed saving community (and still does, although his supply is depleted this year). He specifically requests that anyone who grows APS not sell seed for profit, so it may not become commercially available.

I'm growing 16 plants this year. In a previous trial, some of the plants were green podded, so I have not shared seed from that lot. If all of the plants this year are true to type, I will hopefully have seed to share in the Fall. Drop me a PM if interested, and be patient. I don't check in here often, but will check my PMs when/if seed is available.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2019   #77
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I have just a few purple runner bean plants this year. When I searched I found two more varieties in addition to the Aeron Purple Star. The one I have is blooming a light purple flower while the APS has a scarlet flower. I'm trying to narrow down which one I have and will have to wait a few days to see what the bean looks like to compare. They are starting now.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2019   #78
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
I have just a few purple runner bean plants this year. When I searched I found two more varieties in addition to the Aeron Purple Star. The one I have is blooming a light purple flower while the APS has a scarlet flower. I'm trying to narrow down which one I have and will have to wait a few days to see what the bean looks like to compare. They are starting now.
There are a lot of purple podded common beans; chances are that the purple flowered bean is one of those, rather than a true runner bean. The racemes of true runner beans (P. coccineus) also tend to be dense & indeterminate, as opposed to the smaller racemes of common beans.

The fact that pole beans in general are often colloquially referred to as "runner beans" is a source of constant confusion.
Old July 12, 2019   #79
zendog
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Zeedman, much appreciated. I'll send you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedman View Post
That would most likely be Aeron Purple Star, which to my knowledge is the only purple-podded runner bean. The developer is a gardener, and shared seed freely within the seed saving community (and still does, although his supply is depleted this year). He specifically requests that anyone who grows APS not sell seed for profit, so it may not become commercially available.

I'm growing 16 plants this year. In a previous trial, some of the plants were green podded, so I have not shared seed from that lot. If all of the plants this year are true to type, I will hopefully have seed to share in the Fall. Drop me a PM if interested, and be patient. I don't check in here often, but will check my PMs when/if seed is available.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2019   #80
zendog
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing some Benchmaster runner beans this year, hoping to put a few in the county fair if they produce in our summer heat in Virginia. I have noticed they are much slower growing than the common pole beans I've planted which surprised me since they started out strong. Is this maybe due to the heat and the fact I got them started a bit late?

I planted common beans (Rattlesnake and some greasy bean types) sometime in June and they have already topped my seven foot trellis and are setting beans, but the benchmasters are only a few feet up the poles I'm growing them on.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2019   #81
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
There are a lot of purple podded common beans; chances are that the purple flowered bean is one of those, rather than a true runner bean. The racemes of true runner beans (P. coccineus) also tend to be dense & indeterminate, as opposed to the smaller racemes of common beans.

The fact that pole beans in general are often colloquially referred to as "runner beans" is a source of constant confusion.
As long as I don't have to bend to pick them I don't mind what you call them.
Old July 15, 2019   #82
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

This isn't common knowledge. Thank-you for pointing out the differences. I will be watching my pole beans closely now.
Old October 8, 2019   #83
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i grew aerons purple star last year, and this year. scarlet flowers, fairly large purple pods, big seeds, black with pinkish purple coloring. my seeds came from our bean friend
annette in B.C. i may have enough seeds for a limited seed offer later. i am still harvesting pods. stay tuned.

keith
Old October 11, 2019   #84
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

My APS were planted late & set pods late; but a late frost partially compensated for that. I was able to harvest a fairly large amount of dry seed, and still have quite a few pods drying indoors. It will be a couple weeks yet before the seed is dry enough to package (and not ready for storage until December). For those who contacted me, seed will be mailed out late this month, provided I already have a mailing address.

The local forecast went from "frost advisory" 24 hours ago, to "freeze warning" tonight. All other beans had already been picked clean, but about 3/4 of the APS pods were still on the vines, in hope that we would only get a light frost & more would have time to ripen. It was not to be. I picked all remaining pods tonight, some of which were mature enough to dry for seed. The rest (about 1/2 of the total yield) will be shelled & tested as shellies... I'll post the taste results then.
Old October 12, 2019   #85
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
i grew aerons purple star last year, and this year. scarlet flowers, fairly large purple pods, big seeds, black with pinkish purple coloring. my seeds came from our bean friend
annette in B.C. i may have enough seeds for a limited seed offer later. i am still harvesting pods. stay tuned.

keith
They sound similar to the scarlet runner. How do they compare?
Old October 12, 2019   #86
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Runner beans are Faszoleus coccineus. They are recognized at the time of germination (see picture). Fazoleus vulgaris is self-pollinating. Fazoleus coccineus needs insects for pollination.
Vladimír
I grow Fazoleus coccineus- Greece gigantes with white flowers and large white seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fazole.jpg (27.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1995.jpg (333.1 KB, 106 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2019   #87
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I grow Fazoleus coccineus- Greece gigantes with white flowers and large white seeds.
I've grown Gigantes (or Gigandes) several times here - a really huge (and tasty) shell bean. They are only marginally successful here due to my short season, but get a little better with each generation. I hope they will eventually adapt to my climate. Well worth growing, even if they are not yet reaching their full potential.
Old March 28, 2020   #88
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I ran out of Gigantes a couple of years ago and planted my stash which perished that summer, along with most everything else.

Re the purple podded runner. It is definately a runner bean. I got them straight from the UK originator and did share them a bit after the first year.

They twist the opposite way to regular beans.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2020   #89
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I managed to get some Gigantes from Greece and quickly sowed them. they are goring quite high now.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2020   #90
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Gigandes this year also. Because I've had trouble with squirrels digging up the emerging seedlings (probably mistaking them for walnut seedlings) I start runner beans in pots now. I set them out when the first leaves are fully grown... at which point they have already begun sending up a runner. They sure grow quickly!

This will be the 3rd generation of saved seed, I hope they will continue to adapt to my climate. It would be wonderful to have enough to experiment with several recipes.