Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old March 29, 2009   #16
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Rely

That is great to know! I will keep them for myself to save seeds. I have a strainer that looks just like in the photo. Felt like I could turn the handle on the strainer easier than a regular food mill. Loving it so far!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2009   #17
johnsonjrbm
Tomatovillian™

Svalli -

Thanks for the information!

Would you share the manufacturer's name and the model number with us?

- Bobby
johnsonjrbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2009   #18
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Mine is a back to basics model that I got on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-22...8359529&sr=8-1
Price goes up and down so watch for that. I got mine for about 54 and free shipping. I got the berry screen as well. My granddaughter that is not quite 3 was able to turn the handle and put the precooked apples through (just to soften them up). she said "I pushed and pushed hard memaw. This is yummy apple sauce!"
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #19
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Mine is also Back to Basics model. I bought it few years ago from Farm & Fleet in Wisconsin for $39. Since the box had only the tomato/apple screen, I ordered the berry and pumpkin screens from Back to Basics' web site.

I really love it; I have been amazed how well it works. Our son also loves to work as motor for me turning the handle. This and a steam juicer make making apple sauce really easy. I have used the berry screen to make berry butter after steaming currants for juice. Back to Basics has aluminum steam juicer, but for cooking acidic juices I recommend the more expensive stainless steel one http://www-podunk.com/.