Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 31, 2017   #1
MObigfoot
Tomatovillian™

Default Best Brandywine - OTV - Liams - Suddeths

I am trying to pick the best 2 out of the 3 varieties listed for production and taste. I have never grown Brandywines before but have been growing tomatoes for over 40 years.

MObigfoot
MObigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MObigfoot View Post
I am trying to pick the best 2 out of the 3 varieties listed for production and taste. I have never grown Brandywines before but have been growing tomatoes for over 40 years.

MObigfoot
From Tania's database so you can check them out yourself

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/w/in...rom=B#mw-pages

It depends on whether you want an heirloom or one that was the result of a cross pollination IMO.

Liams is the result of a cross pollination with a bicolor called Lucky Cross

Sudduth is the true deal

OTV Brandwine is the result of a cross as well, and I had a hand in that one myself and it is red,not pink.

And there are many other strains of a PINK Brandywine as well.You asked for opinions so my opinion for two of your three, see below. And red ones also, note OTV.

And good to remember that production and taste can vary a lot depending on many variables,such as year grown,where grown geographically,how grown,which amendments are used,how often and when.

Sudduth
OTV Brandywine

OR two plants of Sudduth.

Carolyn,who has grown all that you mention and many more you didn't mention.
Old January 2, 2018   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MObigfoot View Post

MObigfoot
You're trying to pick what can't be done. Brandywine Suddeth is by far the best tasting of all of the Brandywines, to me. The best tasting may be another Brandywine to someone else.

The problem with BS is in the weather/growing conditions. BS has been the most finicky tomato I've ever trialed. It has superb flavor maybe once in every 5 years. The best growing conditions for best flavor seems to be warm hazy sunshine with little rain. Too hot, too cold, too wet, too much intense sun, and all of the other Brandywines will taste better.

If you'd like a sample of all of the Brandywines in my collection (B Suddeth, B Liams, B Glick's, B Cowlicks , B from Croatia, etc...), PM me a mailing address.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brandywine