Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 20, 2017   #1
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Will Canadian tomato prices rise?

The price of tomatoes might go up, other big growers are also planning to do the same.

Quebec-based Les Serres Stéphane Bertrand, a large Canadian greenhouse grower of tomatoes, plans to begin growing cannabis.

https://www.thepacker.com/article/to...ejlNRDRnIn0%3D
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Canopy Growth has a contract to supply our province here... looks like a nice facility to start with (organic certification... Like!!!).

Maybe I should keep growing tomatoes and ship em to Quebec. Just pay me $10 a gram.....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think the tomato growers were making less money on the recent weakness of the Canadian dollar versus the US dollar. So it makes more sense to grow a product that they can sell in Canada instead.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017   #4
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

This is happening in USA too. Many Oregon farmers cant find help b/c of all the MJ growers paying higher wages.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

lets see, legal cannabis vs tomatoes... I know what I'd be growing if I had a commercial greenhouse.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The more I hear about this sort of thing the more aggravated and depressed I get.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017   #7
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

When I worked in a tomato house in the '70's they switched over to growing flowers, mums and tropicals, because it was more profitable. The newly legal flowers will be selling for $10.00/gm. Seems awfully high to me (no pun intended) and will not stop the illegal trade that already sells for significantly less than that.
We have law enforcement, retired, getting into this lucrative business, one where they were arresting people for doing what they are doing now.
Scruples??? Don't think so.
What business person would not want to triple their profits or more? Unless one is a hobbyist I imagine that the new industry will be very attractive to many.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

$10 a gram must be wholesale? The dispensaries charge $20 a gram here, retail. Med pot is a rich person thing in my area. Poor people can't afford it. Med card and insurance won't pay. It is cash only. Poor people can get free pills from big pharma on the med card, so that is their drug of choice.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017   #9
bower
Tomatovillian™

The government proposed retail price is set at $10 a gram, which they figure to be competitive with the illegal market. A big chunk of the price is tax, and some squabbling has been under way how to split the tax monies between feds and provinces. Someone locally commented in a news article that it was set too high, because the present black market was $8. I have no idea what the standard rate is or how much it varies but BC being a producer region may be less than that.

Personally I would have no trouble paying $10 a gram for a certified organic product regulated by the gov, rather than $8 for who knows what from who knows who.

Compare with getting $10 a kilo for fresh local organic tomatoes. Prices for those are probably lower in other provinces too. I don't know what pot yields are per plant or area cw tomatoes, but for sure dried buds weigh a lot less than a fresh mater... not clear to me how far ahead the weed grower will really be, but it must be a win, or they wouldn't be switching.

Last edited by bower; December 21, 2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: clarify
Old December 21, 2017   #10
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
$10 a gram must be wholesale? The dispensaries charge $20 a gram here, retail. Med pot is a rich person thing in my area. Poor people can't afford it. Med card and insurance won't pay. It is cash only. Poor people can get free pills from big pharma on the med card, so that is their drug of choice.
I just saw an add for our local dispensary, looking for trimmers, packagers and greenhouse help... Not sure what it pays or what they charge per gram, but for good Colorado grown stuff, street price is $50/ 1/8oz, $90/ 1/4oz around here. This weeks special is grapefruit and big bud. *cough* *cough* not that I have any personal knowledge of this, it's just what I've been told!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017   #11
henry
Tomatovillian™

Soon there will be an over supply and unhappy growers happens to all get rich crops.
Old December 21, 2017   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

People in my province who wanted to get involved in this business are really upset about the deal that our government has cut with Canopy Growth. They have exclusive sales here I think for the first years, on the promise of creating a growing facility here within 4 years... pretty sure either the facility is on the taxpayers' dime or some other ludicrous tax breaks - which basically leaves all the locals having to compete with a sponsored company (origins elsewhere) enjoying our tax money. It's a very old story as we have seen time and again. What is wrong with us, that we can't get anyone with basic common sense to run the government.
I sure hope pot smoking improves the mental capacity of our officials.
Old December 21, 2017   #13
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I sure hope pot smoking improves the mental capacity of our officials.
If they aren't already destroying their brain with other substances.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017   #14
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I personally have no need for the stuff, but if I ever have a friend or loved one diagnosed with a condition who could benefit from or be treated with medical marijuana, I would probably grow some and gift it to them as currently allowed under state laws.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All we get is prison time.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote